Help browsing network !!!

jeblond

Here is the situation:

A network with over 100 computers with ips from 100.100.10.1 to 100.100.10.200 all with netmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 100.100.10.1

I need a static ip for my computer and i have this ip 194.102.xxx.x with gw 194.102.xxx.x (this because i dont want NAT i need an real ip for some applications).

Now i cant browse the network.

I added a second ip (100.100.10.100 and netmask 255.255.255.0) on the same interface. Still cant see the network but i can access computers using \\100.100.100.x in my browser.

Do you have any ideea what can i do to see all the computers ?

I have WIN XP SP1

Hello jeblond, and welcome to the Forum.

I think your easiest option will be to install a second network card for the 100.100.10 network, although this will involve a fair bit of configuring for you to get all the relevant software to work with the relevant NIC. Another option, should you only need to use the 194.102 occasionally, would be to simply change your ip address as needed.

Another method (although expensive) would be to connect your machine to a router in order to allow it to talk to a different network. What software is it you are using which requires you to have to have a genuine IP address? Perhaps there is some sort of work around for it.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never enabled two IP's on the same NIC before! I didn't even know it could be done. How will your PC "know" which IP to use? Mixing Addresses on the same LAN's not a good idea.

I agree with Mr. Invincible Mouse, the best option is probably a 2nd NIC.

Will the 194.102.x.x NIC be directly on the Internet? How do you connect it to the Internet?

Sincerely,