Limited or no Connectivity

Gemini-16

Hi, I installed SP2 onto my PC and after I rebooted it came up with an icon on my system tray that says limited or no connectivity. I've tried several fixes on the internet but with no luck. I have checked my cables and they are all hooked up properly. I have a hub connected to two PC's. Any suggestions.

Sounds like you're talking about Windows XP Service Pack 2?

XP Service Pack 2 turns on a new and slightly improved build in Firewall by default. To disable it and see whether the problem goes away, click on Start, Control Panel, and if you're using Category View, click on Security Center. In the new Security Center, click on Windows Firewall. Select Off, and click Ok.

If you use the PC(s) to get to the Internet, I strongly recommend having the Firewall turned on, unless you're behind a very good Hardware Firewall. For testing purposes though, you can disable it and see if you're able to connect locally.

Sincerely,

Windows XP Firewall isn't that good. I suggest another free one, like one of the ones listed on my web site: http://www.homecomputeraid.com/firewalls. If you use one of those though, please disable the XP Firewall.

Are you using a wireless connection? Try running an extended ping as follows:

Go to Start, Run, and type cmd in the Run dialogue. Then click Ok. In the command window that opens, type ping -t www.cisco.com. You should consistently get replies. Please post here on how that works for you.

Sincerely,

• 2 weeks later...

The Limited or No Connectivity is not an issue - I'm unsure why it's even there, and the only reason it comes up is if you're not connected direct thru DHCP (pulling an ip from your ISP) or your connected to a Non-DDM enabled router

The Windows Firewall bites, no matter how you slice it

apart from that, make sure the following things are in order

you've recently powercycled

if you're using a router, it's set up correctly and the MTU is at 1500

the drivers are correct for your nic

if all that checks out and the ping test by HCA is failing, post back

• 4 weeks later...

Well it was weird one day it just got limited connectivity. I re-installed tcp/ip and everything kept getting that F#$%ing 169... IP. I had a friend bring another laptop over, I could get it to connect have access to everything within minutes. Did the usual, reset the router, switch, server, blah, blah, blah, nothing seemed to work. So Ill let you guys know when I have a chance to work on it.