VPN, RAS, Remote Connction Problems...

Vasichko

Ok, heres the deal... I can VPN to my server using remote desktop no problem. But when I want to VPN to a client pc using remote desktop, it tells my the pc may be busy or the network is not set up correctly. I am using the IP address that the DHCP has assigned to that PC.

I have given my user rights to Dial-in, and that particular PC does have Remote Desktop enabled...

Vasichko,

Are you saying that from home, you want to VPN into the Server, then control a Desktop with Remote Desktop? You can't terminate a VPN session to a desktop to my knowledge.

So, the VPN connection should terminate at the Server, and once that's up, you should be able to use Remote Desktop to get to the PC's. Does that make sense to you? Once you VPN to the Server, can you ping the PC's?

Wait wait... In order to do this... Do I first have to VPN into my server, then connect using remote desktop to the Client PC???

Im asking this because when I check my IP using a client PC on www.whatismyip.com it gives me the same IP as my server.

And if I am at home trying to ping the client, the request times out.

So Im assuming that I cannot just directly connect to a client pc without VPNing the server first right???

No way that will afford your network any kind of security. I recommend running a port scan from outside on your network using a scanner like Shield's Up! to make sure you only have necessary ports open.

So, from outside, VPN into your Server, then use Remote Desktop to connect to and administer the PC's. Make sure that you can ping the desktops through the VPN tunnel before troubleshooting the Remote Desktop software too much. If you can't ping, you'll be chasing your tail! :)