Server OS

Guest dannyboy60

Guest dannyboy60

I am setting up a home network but would like to have a network server,but i am unsure to wot os to use on the server, i was thinking of using windows nt back office or windows 2000 sbs.

I recommend against SBS or Back Office unless you're absolutely sure your network will remain very small. What are the maximum number of users you anticipate ever having to access your server?

I would also go with 2003. Any reason you're looking at legacy software? If you have older hardware, or are adventurous, you might try Linus, maybe Ubuntu Linux? I like it a lot.

Are you looking for a file server, or a method of controlling access to a domain?

There are people here and on Ubuntu's Forums who could help you make an Ubuntu Linux File and Web Server. I'm not sure how, or if it can control domain access or enforce domain policies.

Do you anticipate the network ever growing beyond 10 users?

If you go with Windows, could your business afford Windows 2003 Server? If you buy it separately, you can get it at PC Connection for about $1,000. If you buy a new server, you can get it pre-installed for a significant savings.

If you're toying with the idea of using pirated or "discount" (OEM) software, I recommend against it.