Linksys WAG54G and AOL UK

leanmoha

Hi

having finally decided to get a router, I was just wondering if anyone knows how to get the Linksys WAG54G wireless gatway router to work with AOL UK. I heared AOLs ADSL is not the standard type so is very finniky and seeing they don't provide support for the Linksys WAG54G which I'm looking to get within the next 24hrs. I've seen one for £55 but only 3 available so have to jump before I look effectively.

I only got a couple of months left on my contract with them but for those few months I've got left I would like to be able to use the router you know !!

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/datas...G-ds-ukeula.pdf

I'm running WinXP MCE ps2, I got my crossover network working but can't share the internet this way on AOL

Is it just a matter of sitting down and sorting out the passthroughs protocols, logging into AOL with the master account and other stuff or is it more than that? also is the PPPoE thing an AOL thing or just a general windows networking thing?

I don't have a clue about this stuff other than what I have picked up fiddling around with my pcs.

Many thanks

PPPoE = PPP Over Ethernet - basically authentication-based broadband.

AFAIK, AOL uses PPPoE but it may be different in the UK (I'm in the States)

Your router is PPPoE capable, but you'll need to set it up. Open Internet Explorer and browse to http://192.168.1.1

Enter a username and password which, for the default before you change it, is

Username: Leave this blank (meaning type nothing)

Password: admin

Afterwards, you'll be at a setup screen

Look for "Internet Connection Type" and set it to PPPoE

It will prompt you with Username and Password

Enter here, your AOL Username and Password (You may or may not have to include @aol.com - probably not)

Click "Save Settings" or "Apply"

you should be finished. - Post back with any more problems

Thank Scuzzman

I should get delivery in the next few days so will follw your instruction and hopefully all will be well.

I think the UK AOL is PPPoE as well since this is the only PPP tpye protocol showing up on my AOL LAN connection, though I read when doing a google search that the UK uses PPPoA the WAG54G does support PPPoA as well but am I right in assuming that since I don't see PPPoA in the network connections properties protocol that I'm not connecting via PPPoA but rather PPPoE?

UK does use PPPoA sometimes, someone in the UK will have to verify that for you. As for the router, a firmware upgrade might incorporate PPPoA - but you'll need to contact Linksys or maybe wait till someone posts on how to do it... I've never before done it, and thus don't know how.

If you find the solution though, please do be kind enough to post it. And if I haven't said it already, Welcome to WF!

Thanks guys, got the gateway router this morning, set up was surprisingly easy. I have more problems installing Java SDK and textpad on my old P2 laptop than the router.

In fact the only problem was the connection kept misbehaving and the McAFee firewall I was running. uninstalled that, and disconnected the phone from the fillter (probably 1 too many phones connected to the line and the fact I'm using well over 40m of phone extention cable) and all seems fine now. I'll probably get a couple of USB/PCI type recievers at some latter date to get rid of all those cables. But alls well.

Haven't quite figured out how to connect the aol software yet so I can keep tabs on my account. But I am glad I can se the back of that resource guzzeling software.

As it turns out the UK ISPs do use PPPoA and the only thing I had to change was the MTU from auto to 1400.

Again thanks loads

You would probably benefit from a look at this thread where I explained Line Attenuation and Noise Margins.

Namely, the length of the phone cord going from the jack to your DSL modem should be a MAXIMUM of 15 feet (5m) before your signal begins suffering from the resistance of the line.