Windows 98SE network

korgg

This time the problem affects me personal.. I never used the Internet sharing on Win 98, and I know it can be done, just dont know where it is that wizard ..

OKI ! There are 2 computers (old ones) with Win 98 SE both...On one computers there are 2 NIC's realtek 8139D, and on the other one one NIC same firm ...

It was a hell untill i set them up and running and pls dont ask me how I did it ... :angry:

Now, I want to have access to the Internet (provided through cable modem ) on the other computer... I cant use Win 2000 or XP since the computers are too old for this...

Now ... there are two big problems... First how do I make the computers see each other on the network ? it worked once, but now they refuse to cooperate, although they are set up corectly... I dont even have ping on them... The cable is OK and i have link between NIC's..

(those green leds are on :D )

it took me a while to manage to get to work the internet connection, but it worked after all...

Damn DHCP and mac filtering :angry: ...

The second problem is how to get the second computer to get access to the internet... I know how to do this in Win XP, but I have no ideea in Win 98 ...

off-topic: those posts from today are some how an ordinary work day for me... If only the day was 48 hours long :lol:

Korgg,

How are the two PC's connected to each other? Using one NIC in each PC and a crossover cable between them, or are they plugged into a hub?

Make sure they're both in the same IP Subnet range.

Go to Start, Run, winipcfg, and hit Enter.

In the IP Configuration window, make sure they're both in the same subnet range, but that the host addresses are different, for example 192.168.1.5 on one PC, and 192.168.1.6 on the other. Make sure the masks are 255.255.255.0 on both.

How do you connect to the Internet? DSL, Cable Modem, Dial-up?