WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport

ɹəuəllıʍ ʇɐb

I have something called "WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport" in my Device Manager, with the cute little yellow exclamation mark on it.

post-1524-1107854950_thumb.gif

Had it since the beginning, and still have it with SP2. Here's the message from the driver

post-1524-1107854971_thumb.gif

I would love to unistall it, but I can't. Windows won't let me, not even in Safe Mode. It says

post-1524-1107855009_thumb.gif

Since it doesn't work anyway, how can I get rid of it? (The driver, b.t.w., is called psched.sys; and it's there, at C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS, not damaged, and the newest SP2 version).

P.S. what is it used for?

WAN Miniport is a device that allows "alternative" conneciton methods through Windows XP such as wireless networking, and PPPoE

It's best not to uninstall it, but since the drivers are corrupt anyway, you may want to let Windows search WinUpdate for updated drivers.

I don't know when that thing actually got installed - I think it was not with the original XP installtion, but some software that I added later. But no recollection what it was.

One strange thing is that on the Driver panel it says Driver Version 5.1.2535.0

post-1524-1107919126_thumb.gif

... but the actual driver file psched.sys is version 5.1.2600.2180 (SP2). There are no newer driver files available.

Is is really not a very terrible thing; it's just that every time I open the Device Manager I think that I must do something about this. I think I will start looking in the registry for clues.

No, this device - with the yellow exclamation mark - has been there for quite a long time; I think before SP1 even. Nothing has changed recently; my only network connection is via Intel PRO/1000 MT to the LAN.

I believe it occurred after I installed some software, a long, long time ago; it may have been Exceed. I once asked Hummingbird Support about it, but they deny that they have anything to do with it.

Well, I thought someone here may know something about it - i.e. how to remove an unused and corrupt device, but I may have to live with this for the rest of this computer's life...

Thanks, anyway, for trying!

• 3 years later...

All,

I've got this problem too, but am service tech so have some understanding. Miniport is a software simulated, not actual hardware, device that allows control of security and other things. My daughter has XP machine.

We strictly run W2K in shop, because anything newer from MS has huge list of bugs.

Anyway Wan Miniport (the series) was not there with native install as it never is. Then we got Verizon FIOS and their install disk loaded these software devices. Now the machine will not access the internet or any other network without the Verizon router present. Since I was promised no install cost and a bunch of other crap by Verizon, and then got charged $438.73 on my first bill, I dropped them like a hot rock.

Now trying to recover the machine. Other forums and help pages say remove all services and protocols from NIC, then remove all entries from Reqistry, Uninstall NIC in device manager and reboot. They say it will clear, but I find these imbedded in the "LEGACY" portion of the registry, which can not be removed, so wonder how to really get this done.

Some sites suggest it is spyware and advise downloading their crap AV and SpyWare programs, but I run the best "Stop-Sign" and It is not a spyware problem, but as stated before I know the soucre ==> The Verizon FIOS install CD.

If someone has successfully de-installed this I want to know. Otherwise, a low level HD format and OS re-install is my only option.

Thanks!

OMR