Networking Error

djhig

I have a wireless network. The router is connected to the XP pc and t i have a pci card in my Windows 98 SE pc. Everything was working perfectly until recently. Whenever i now try to open network neighbourhood and view workgroup computers i am unable to. I keep getting Error 6118. How do i fix this??

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks

Google has a number of references to this error number. Some of them may match the symptoms you are getting. Also, if you put Error 6118 in XP help and support, there are twelve items there that may match.

Do you get the message "The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" as well with the error number?

NetBEUI is NetBIOS Extended User Interface. It's a networking protocol, just as TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol), but it's unroutable, meaning you can't use it to get to the Internet like you can use TCP/IP to get to the Internet.

NetBEUI is nice in that it's easy to configure, but it's chatty on large networks, and it can only be used on a single Local Area Network (LAN) segment.

I assume you're using the computers to get to the Internet as well as to talk to each other?

No, no problem. You'll be using TCP/IP if you're getting to the Internet. You may also have NetBEUI, or NetBIOS over TCP/IP configured, but I prefer to use as few protocols as possible.

Do you know what change(s) may have occured just before it quit working? Did you do some Microsoft Service Packs or Patches?

Are you getting the 6118 Error on the XP computer or the 98 computer? Is there any more text available with the message, or if it's in the XP machine, any information in the Event Log? Something like Error_No_Browser_Servers_Found?

You might try temporarily disabling your XP firewall. To do this, click on Start, Control Panel, and double click the Security icon (You may not have this icon if you have not installed Service Pack 2. If you don't, you should have a Firewall icon). I'm not sitting at an XP machine right now, but you should be able to find the place to disable the firewall from there. Please post if you have any difficulty.

The error is on the XP computer. As far as i know there is no more text with the message. I'll try disabling the firewall, but somehow i don't think thats the problem, as it was working with the firewall on. The PC had service pack 2 put on a the beginning of its life, before we set up the network so i doubt its that either. We run windows update every day, but i don't know if that would have an effect. The NetBIOS over TCP/IP is on the default setting, not enabled or disabled.