LinkSys BEFSR41

synergy021

This is really frustrating me. I access the internet throuhg a router (BEFSR41) and it worked fine for the past few years, and all of a sudden its acting up. AIM doesnt work for more than a few seconds, LimeWire stops downloading after a couple of seconds etc.. The only thing that works is websurfing. It seems like every program that uses the internet is affected by the router, because when I run my computer directly to the cable modem, I have no problems. Please help me solve this infuriating annoyance. Thanks in advance.

Yup, I already ran both spybot and adaware. Those two programs didn't do much to solve the problem. Anyway, I was reading my router's troubleshooting, and there was something about Internet Applications, it said to enable the DMZ or something like that, so I did it, and as of now, I think AIM is back to its stable self. Knock on wood.

P.S. does anyone know what exactly this DMZ thing does? I'm happy that I fixed the AIM problem, but I hope I didn't invite any more crap into my comp.

DMZ:

Demilitarized Zone. Taken from the military term for a safety zone between battle lines, this refers to an area within the firewall. Often this is a single machine with access to the internal site and the outside network. See also firewall

Basically, it can be explained as a hole punched into a firewall (such as a router's NAT) on a specific port so an application can utilise an internet connection on that port.

DMZ stands for Demilitarized Zone. It's the kind of like the concept of a "no man's land" like that found at the border between North and South Korea. On a commercial network, you have a separate port or ports on your firewall dedicated to devices that must be somewhat visible to and that must interact with the outside world or Internet, like Mail Servers and some DNS Servers. You treat your own devices like foreign hosts and limit their activity within your network.

On a home network, it makes a "hole" in your firewall for one inside IP Address. It effectively exposes that IP to the Internet.

A better solution might be to set up Port Forwarding as discussed on Page 65 of the User's Manual: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr11_befsr41ug.pdf.

The Port to forward for AIM is 5190 according to this site: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100495.asp