how to type japanese in command prompt

Hi, I'm using a japanese version of windows XP professional SP2. I'm on command prompt and I want to type something in japanese. I'm doing this because most of my directories are in japanese. Also that I want to add is the applications, such as Dev C++ 4. When I'm trying to compile my programs, it has an error that says "C:\Documents and Settings\服部君\My Documents\c++ programs\sample.cpp: no such file or directory." I have the problem for this. The problem for this situation is the japanese characters as you see on the directory path. That keeps causing the program not to compile. Are there any solutions for these two problems.

Hi, Hattori-san -- welcome to the Windows Forum.

On your first problem (Command Prompt); I do not quite understand what the problem is. Are you saying you cannot type Japanese in the Command Prompt? Do you get English characters instead? Can you set the IMO explicitly to Hiragana?

On your second question (C++); is it the Japanese version of C++ you have installed? (English versions of most softwares have big difficulties with multibyte languages).

P.S. I will perform some tests with Japanese language in the Command Prompt; I'll get back to you on this.

A circumvention for your first (Command Prompt) problem. Use DIR /X to display the folder names. The /X option will display your file and folder names in both 8.3 format and the full Windows format.

I have just created a folder with a Japanese name, and the name appears as 614C~1 in the 8.3 format. I can easily do a CD 614C~1 and go to that folder.

I did this with English Windows, but I will later do some tests with Japanese Windows.

I've done exactly what you said, but it still shows japanese characters. For example,

I created a file called "服部のファイル” on [my documents] directory. I go to command prompt and type, like you said, dir /x. Once I typed it, the japanese characters still show as "服部の~1".

Yes, I see - that seems to be the difference between Japanese Windows and English Windows.

But I have just played a bit on Japanese Windows, and succeeded turning on the IME for Command Prompt with ALT+半角/全角. This allows me the full use of IME; entering katakana, hiragana, and use of the kanji dictionary.

How do you turn on the IME? (I hope that you use the Windows IME; I was unable to use any 3rd-party IME in Command Prompt).

It depends on what keyboard you are using. Check the IME Help section, it should give you keyboard shortcuts for various keyboard types, e.g. US keyboard, or Japanese keyboard.

According to Language bar keyboard shortcuts you should be able to switch with ALT+~ on a US keyboard.

How about your C++ problem, do you have the Japanese or English version of Visual Studio?

I'm using the japanese version of Borland C++ Builder 5.5 (free version). Now on command prompt, take a look at this. It has the IME on bottom right hand corner. How can I change it to katakana and back to hiragana. I tried holding the alt+caps lock for katakana. I want to change it back to hiragana

post-2533-1109657703_thumb.jpg

but before we get to that, something is wrong with my borland c++ 5.5 (japanese version) compiler. Take a look at this. I'm trying to compile an opengl program using borland. I have all of the configurations set and I have five errors. The five errors for this problem is my sam.obj file. what can I do to fix this.

post-2533-1109704436_thumb.jpg

I have a US keyboard.

I have played some on my Japanese XP at home; CTRL+CAPS LOCK switches to katakana in Command Prompt.

Are there any shops online where I can get a japanese keyboard

Microsoft has of course Japanese keyboards, but I don't know if you can order them online. One site I found that has international keyboards is http://www.hooleon.com/

But basically the IME should be able to handle the US keyboard. It seems that it behaves a bit different inside the Command Prompt from other environments like an editor.

but before we get to that, something is wrong with my borland c++ 5.5 (japanese version) compiler. Take a look at this.  I'm trying to compile an opengl program using borland. I have all of the configurations set and I have five errors. The five errors for this problem is my sam.obj file. what can I do to fix this.

I am not familiar with Borland C++, but I have Borland Delphi 7 (Japanese version). When I get any errors while compiling or linking, I usually just look around for what's missing. It is usually something in the settings, or of course errors in the source code. From the looks of your error messages, it appears as if you got some unresolved symbols?

you are right about that, lol. hmm, maybe I have to recheck my settings just to make sure. Man, I'm telling you, I really want to get this thing to work, lol. I'm trying to develop a game (demo) before senior project. I have to setup Allegro programming library so that I can make this game (demo); I'm also using blender 3D modeling software. I'm into high quality graphics; real-life like I mean.