Multi network connections problem

fei

I have a desktop with two network cards. One card is connected to a ADSL router modem. I don't need to do configure the connection at all. in order to get online. The connection is being configured properly at boot time using DHCP.

The problem is that I want to use the second network card to connect my laptop computer to get the internet access and file sharing between the two computers. I have been trying to solve this problem for a very long time. Finally i gave up, came to ask help from this forum. I also have the same problem when I was trying to use a wireless conection, as the second network card on my pc, to connect my laptop. Can anyone help me with this??? I'm really depressed at the moment. I want to get the problem solved.

Thanks!!!!!

Do you have Internet Connection Sharing turned on on the PC with two NIC's?

The IP configuraiton of your network will help us to help you.

Can you go to Start, Run, type cmd, and hit Enter. In the command window that opens up type ipconfig /all on both PC's and post the contents here? It will look like the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\user1>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer1

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ABC123.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : frontrunnernetworks.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti

on

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-B8-6D-16-A5

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.202.166

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.202.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.202.11

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.17

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.202.11

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:15:23 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:15:23 PM

Ethernet adapter {45F7F700-9B72-4885-91DF-318BC3104E4D}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter - Packet Sch

eduler Miniport

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Computer1>

After typing ipconfig /all, right click on the title bar of the command window, go down to edit, then Select All. Then right click the title bar again and go to copy. Right click in the response to this post and select Paste.

If you're uncomfortable posting this information, please PM it to me.

Thanks for the reply. Here is the output for the desktop with two NIC (Local connection 2 is connected to the ADSL router model, and local connection is connected to my laptop. ):

C:\Documents and Settings\fei-desktop>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : fei-d

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

Ethernet adapter local connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.A)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-C8-D8-3D-EB

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.111

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 2005年3月4日 18:35:36

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 2005年3月5日 18:35:36

Ethernet adapter local connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-1C-19-C8-C3

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.1.44

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

================================================

Here is the output for the ouptut from my laptop:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FEI

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

Ethernet adapter Local Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-45-45-36-F2

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.81.65

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

From the output, I can tell that the IP addresses for the laptop NIC and Desktop local connection are somehow strange. I don't want to configure them manaully. I wander if both IP addresses can be configured automatically. Thanks!!!

The problem's visible right here:

Computer with 2 NIC's

Ethernet adapter local connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-1C-19-C8-C3

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.1.44

Laptop configuration:

Ethernet adapter Local Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-45-45-36-F2

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.81.65

The 168.254.x.x IP Addresses are called Autoconfiguration Addresses. They are assigned when you have the NIC's set to obtain their IP Addresses from Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), but they cannot find a DHCP Server. On your network, your DHCP addresses are given out by your Router which is not visible to the Ethernet adapter local connection on the PC with 2 NIC's, or on the laptop.

I suggest setting static IP's on the NIC's that have Autoconfiguration addresses as follows:

Put an ip of 172.16.1.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 on the PC with 2 NIC's (the one named fei-d), and 172.16.1.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 on the laptop (fei). On fei, you can put the Gateway as 172.16.1.1.

This should get the two PC's talking. The Internet's a different story. Let's get the two computers talking, and go from there.

[edit]Sorry, I forgot to tell you how to change the IP's! In Windows XP, you go to Start, Control Panel, and in Control Panel, double click Network Connections. Right click on the local area connection you want to modify and select Properties. The Local Area Connection Properties will open up:

post-1455-1109943176_thumb.jpg

Highlight TCP/IP by clicking on it, then select Properties. The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window will open:

post-1455-1109943375_thumb.jpg

Click Use the following address and type the addresses I said above. Click Ok, then Ok again to close the windows. Try to ping fei-d from fei. Go to Start, Run, and type cmd. In the Open dialogue, type cmd and hit Enter. In the command window that opens, type ping 172.16.1.1 and hit Enter. You should get replies. Please post another ipconfiguration from both PC's when you're done.

You're doing great!

Let me know how it works.

Thanks for helping. I have successfully confiugured the LAN connections, so that I can get my Laptop online using the LAN connection on the Desktop PC. I still want to know if it's possible to setup an DHCP server for my Laptop NIC. In this case, I don't need to configure my laptop IP address at all.

Thanks again for the replies!!!

I've never used Internet Connection Sharing myself, but you can set it up as outlined in this article http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...rnmore/ics.mspx on fei-d, then have your laptop obtain its IP Address automatically by going to Start, Control Panel, and in Control Panel, double click Network Connections. Right click on the local area connection you want to modify and select Properties. The Local Area Connection Properties will open up:

post-1455-1109943176_thumb.jpg

Highlight TCP/IP by clicking on it, then select Properties. The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window will open:

post-1455-1110032258_thumb.jpg

Click Obtain IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS Automatically. From the Article I'm sending, I did not see DHCP addressed directly, but I believe Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) will provide the address for your laptop. Please post if it does not work.

I read the article on the microsoft web site. The situation is suitable for one NIC only. For example, if I have a dial-up connection, and I enabled the ICS on one NIC and also use this NIC to share the internet connection. What I'm saying here is that the ICS is enabled on the NIC, which is the network card used to share the internet connection. For this case, the DHCP should work automatically.

But I use two NIC, one is connection to an ADSL router modem which has the ICS enable, the other one is used to connected to my laptop for shareing internet connection. In this case, the ICS and network connection are seperated on different NICs. DHCP server won't work automatically one the second network connection.

I hope you can understand what I was trying to say.

I know that, for Linux I can install a DHCP server if I want to get other machines' IP assigned automically. I don't know how to do this on XP.