shutdown over network

pthomass

I need the following:

I have ethernet drives in my network and I want the oportunity to shut them down over the internet.

I can do this manualy by opening Internet Explorer, going to the IP adres of the ethernet drive, Log In as administrator by clocking on Administration, filling in username and pasword, then going to the tab SERVER and then click on SHUTDOWN.

Is it possible to do this automatically? Let say by running a script?

The idea is that when a signal comes in on a computer in the network that that computer wil do an automated shutdown of the ethernet disks.

I'm convinced that this is possible, but do not know how to get started on the script.

Peter

Thanx, but let me expand my question.

The ethernet drives that I mentioned have windows embedded installed and the manufacturer mad it so that no other software can be installed. We also have a UPS. This UPS needs to safely shutdown the ethernet drive when power goes down in the building. But because there is no possibility to install software, the only other way is to open internet explorer, go to the ethernet drives IP, logon and shut down. Or to go to start-run-"mstsc" and fill in the ip adres, logon and then shut down.

Maybe this gives more information and rings a bell regarding the solution.

Ok, I managed to do a remote shutdown by the following command:

c:\>shutdown -s -m \\computername -t 60 -c "This computer will shutdown in 60 seconds"

-s is shutdown

-m \\computername is the remote computer

-t is time

-c is a message that will apear

First I had to logon to the computer to have acces to do this. This is also possible with a DOS command.Other requirements are that you have to have at least one shared map on the remote computer

Next thing is to put these commands in a BAT file. Which is not difficult.

And then I need something that will observe the serial port and when some data comes in on the port, the BAT file will be called.

Any ideas on this last one then? Visual Basic perhaps???

BeyondExec

Remote Shutdown

o Ability to shutdown groups of computers (for example at close of business to save on power.)

o User can be given notification of shutdown and the option of cancelling (if permitted - Default).

o Shutdown dialog will appear on active window, should it be the login window, login screen saver, logged in users desktop, or on a locked workstation.

o The shutdown process will be identical regardless if a user is logged in or not.

o A process can be executed prior to shutdown. E.g. you could gracefully shutdown important programs (open databases) using the Command Line Process Viewer before forcing a shutdown on less important applications.