Dial-up network?

Scarecrow Man

OK. So I have dial-up. How can I make a home network? Can I use a router? or does it have to be done through ICS and a cross over? Can I use a hub?

What I am trying to do is set it up so all computers have the internet, and it is always on. I understand I require a modem and a PC to connect, but my computers are always on anyways. Dial-up connection is in the start-up, and I have a dedicated line for it.

Any info would be helpful. :)

Scarecrowman,

You said 'all' instead of 'both' so I assume you have more than 2 computers?

You'll probably want to use an XP machine as the one that dials the Internet and set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on that PC. Then make sure that PC and any others you would like to get to the Internet with have 10/100 Mb Ethernet NIC's in them. If you have more than 2 PC's, you'll want to connect them with a hub or switch.

If you're only connecting 2 computers, you can avoid using a hub or switch by using a crossover cable between the 2 computers. A hub or switch isn't that expensive though, and will make it easy for you to add or remove PC's from the network.

Here's an ICS tutorial on Practically Networked:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

[edit]It looks like korgg and I found 2 different tutorials on the same site. :)

and here's a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article describing it:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310563

Sincerely,