Sharing folders in wireless network

jtdt

I have a PC --Windows XP SP2 and a Laptop---Windows XP SP2 connecting wirelessly via a Belkin Pre-N Router and a Netcomm NB1300 Modem. All working well on the internet and email. I am now trying to send shared folders to and from each other wirelessly.

In ' my network places ' on the PC I can see the 2 members of the ' Workgroup' but on the laptop I can only see the name of the laptop.

Please explain how I can get the PC member name onto the laptop. I tried to map the network drive on the laptop but it did not work.

I have enabled 'folder sharing' for certain folders in the 'shared documents' folder.

jtdt

Hi jtdt,

Can you skim through Networking Fundamentals, Parts 1, 2, and 3, and see if there's anything in there you may have missed? Make sure there is at least one common username (with the same password) and the workgroup is the same among all of the PC's on your network.

Are you using XP firewall on any of the PC's in question? If not, are you using another software firewall on them?

Sincerely,

Still no luck, spent 2 days reading fundamentals, windows help site and various other forums.

I keep getting error message about not having permission to send files and that my PC cannot see the laptop, it says see my administrator [ I am the administrator and have all rights, I believe]

Pease help :(

Try seeing if you can access the hard drive of one PC from another over the network by doing the following:

Go to Start, Run, and in the Open: dialogue, type \\computername\c$, where computername is replaced by the network name of another PC. Let me know what happens when you try this. The PC you try to access must be Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP for this method to work.

To find out the computer name on an XP machine, right click on My Computer, and click on Properties. Click on the Computer Name tab, and write down the information next to Full computer name: That is the name you will put after \\ in the Run box.

Hi homecomputeraid,

I did exactly what you said on each computer and the error box said 'The Network Path was not found'

Also , now my laptop keeps droping off the wireless connection and then reconnecting every 1 minute.

I cannot win

jtdt :(

It sounds like your network connection is not working, or is not working consistently. I'm guessing that you can't ping the other computer either. To try this, go to Start, Run, and type cmd in the Open: dialogue, then hit Enter. A command window should open. Type Ping computername where computername is replaced by the network name of the computer. You can also type ipconfig and try to ping by IP address.

Copying a procedure from one of Scuzzman's posts, please do the following:

Go to Start, Run, and type or paste the following:

ipconfig /all > C:\IPInfo.txt

Then Start, Run

notepad C:\IPInfo.txt

A Notepad window will popup: paste its contents here (you should feel safe doing this, as there will be no private information).

I suspect that one problem may be security settings on your wireless. Do you have WEP, WAP, WPA or MAC Filtering set up on your wireless? For troubleshooting purposes, I recommend turning off all such security to make sure you have basic connectivity, then setting security.

I was reading the forum in Windows Help and found that my Router setting for WPA was TKIP and that could be a problem with sharing. They said to change it to AES which I did.

I then disabled all firewalls and all of a sudden I could send a folder from my PC to the Laptop [wow--great excitement]

I tried to send from the laptop to the PC but got the message about not having permission and see my administrator.

Anyway I seem to be getting there.

Another thing they said was to enable the guest account which I did.

I do not know what that means but I am happy it's going one way at least.

I will be on Hols till Mid Oct so I will have to wait untill then to do the tests you said to do.

Many thanks for all your help and I will pick it up on my return.

jtdt

PS I have also found a setting in my Sygate firewall to allow sharing so that is now ticked.