Ubuntu Linux on laptop

Hi all,

I just installed Ubuntu 5.10 on my laptop. An older version of Ubuntu worked great on it! It installed cleanly, screen resolution was good, network card installed. No problems.

The 5.10 version is a different story. I'm dual booting with Windows XP. The dual-boot works fine, but when I get into Ubuntu, screen resolution is terrible, no NIC, and it looks like the Intel 82852 ChipSet isn't installed right.

Anyone have any experience with installing and/or updating drivers like chipsets?

I'm looking on Ubuntu's forums and I'll let you know what I find. Any help here would be great too.

Sincerely,

I've tried a clean install, and the results were no better. I was concerned that I got impatient during the first install when the PC was just sitting there and rebooted too early in the install.

I'm thinking about rolling back to the version of Ubuntu that worked!

Nothing on the Ubuntu forum so far.

As for the Intel chipset, you can check to see if the kernel module is being loaded with the lsmod command. You could also try assuring that the modelines in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf are correct for your monitor.

One other thing to try: run this command as root:

xorgconfig

Be aware, you must have your monitor's documentation available, as you will need the vertical and horizontal refresh rates.

• 2 weeks later...

Needs to be done as root. You're looking for the 'sudo' command. BTW: to login as root, you first (in Ubuntu) need to change the root password:

sudo passwd

You can then login as root. You can also (and it's suggested) to just use sudo to do your administration tasks by prepending the command with 'sudo'. It will then prompt you for a password; type your user password, NOT root's.

Thanks Scuzzman,

I'm sure we're on the right track here. I was able to enable eth0 and disable the lo interface. I still couldn't get an IP Address from my DHCP Server though. I tried putting one on manually, including adding my Default Gateway and DNS Server, but still couldn't ping out.

Do you know how to do an IPConfig /renew in Linux?

Well, first, re-enable the lo device. You can renew the ip by stopping and restarting the network. Usually, this will be in your startup scripts. Unfortunately though, this differs by distro. On my Slackware box, this would be

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

Yours should be similar.

• 4 weeks later...

well today i messed up i got windows XP ro and ubuntu 5.10 and ubuntu 5.04 on one of my laptops ,, i downlonded kubuntu 5.10 yesterday so i wanted to format out the 5.04 and install kubuntu on that patition now being im a freekin know itall i just didnot pay any mind to what i was doing and deleted out 5.10 and 5.04 installed kubuntu and now dont like it and was pissed i lost my 5.10 i felt kubuntu was just slaped togather un like ubuntu any way i now formated out kubuntu and reistall ubuntu 5.10 again i wasted my time and shoulda left well enough alone LOL live and learn