how to reinstall file using recovering console in windows 2003

Discusman

I also forgot to mention.

I have several partitions on my hard drive and I can't even change directory using command

cd drive:

It is always stays on C: no matter what.

If I use dir drive:

It gives me this error "An error occurred during directory enumeration"

What is going on? Plz help.

Thanks in advance

Looks like a boot.ini problem, if you can't boot into Windows use RC and type this..

expand cd-rom :\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\Windows\system32

If that fails type this..

chkdsk c: /f /r

If both the above fail its a boot.ini issue, you say you have several partitions but you don't say whats on them. Boot gain to RC and use the bootcfg /rebuild command to scan the drives - it will offer you the option of adding these instalations.

Ok, here is what I did

I was trying to install SQL 2000 after I installed windows 2003 SP1. Then it pops up a blue screen and reboot by itself. Then it was saying the file ntoskrnl.exe is missing.

Now I insert the Windows installation CD into my CD rom and trying to use console to recover it.

It gives to C:\ right after it finish loading the console.

But I have several partitions on my ONE HD. And my system files are installed on the D: drive

I cd D: and go to D: drive and wants to see dir D:

It gives me this error "An error occurred during directory enumeration"

Do I need to logon as a Administrator and enter Password before doing this? I know my security setting on my server is strict.

How can I do this? I'm confused. Thanks.

I entered chkdsk c:/f/r in recovering console.

It tells me parameter is invalid.

Ok, I tried this

chkdsk c:

It give me this

no error found on this volume

chkdsk d:

One or more errors found on this volume.

I entered chkdsk d:/f/r

The parameter is invalid

I entered chdsk d:/f

The parameter is invalid

Any spaces between them?

Sorry - just re-read, change the drive letter. You ask if this can really fix your problem. It looks like you have a damaged partition that has removed information from your boot.ini file - thus not allowing a boot. You need to change the boot.ini information and you need to repair the partition. I don't know if these solutions will work but unless you are prepared to run a repair installation I can't think of any other way.

I'm doing the chkdsk on my volume D: which it resides all the windows files

It is now 56% completed and is still processing. very slow.

what should I do next?

Remove the Windows Installation CD and reboot the server? Hopefully it will start the windows?

what are the steps to do partition repair?

what if I just reinstall Windows 2003? But there are data lost if chose this option. :(

The fact that you have just logged out seems to indicate your intentions. If you do read this before you reinstall it might be worth a bash. The fact that NTLDR is missing is no problem and just confirms my boot.ini problem.

You could just use this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318728 following this..

1. Use the Windows 2000 Setup disks to restart the computer, or use the Windows 2000 CD-ROM to restart the computer. 
2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the Windows 2000 installation.
3. Press C to repair the Windows 2000 installation by using the Recovery Console.
4. Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. For example, type 1, and then press ENTER. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
229716 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229716/EN-US/) Description of the Windows Recovery Console
5. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.
6. Type map, and then press ENTER. Note the drive letter that is assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
7. Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after you type each one, where drive is the drive letter that you typed in step 4 of "Method 2: Use the Recovery Console," of this article:
copy drive:\i386\ntldr c:\

copy drive:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
If you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: In these commands, there is a space between the ntldr and c:\, and between ntdetect.com and c:\.
8. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
type c:\Boot.ini
A list similar to the following list appears: [boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

If you receive the following message, the Boot.ini file may be missing or damaged:
The system cannot find the file or directory specified.
9. If the Boot.ini file is missing or damaged, create a new one. To do so, follow these steps:a. Use a text editor, such as Notepad or Edit.com, to create a boot loader file similar to the following boot loader file:[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
102873 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102873/EN-US/) BOOT.INI and ARC Path Naming Conventions and Usage
301680 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301680/EN-US/) How To Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows
b. Save the file to a floppy disk as Boot.ini.

NOTE: If you used Notepad to create the file, make sure that the .txt extension is not appended to the Boot.ini file name.
c. Type the following command at the Recovery Console command prompt to copy the Boot.ini file from the floppy disk to the computer:
copy a:\Boot.ini c:\

10. Type exit, and then press ENTER. The computer restarts.

This would fix your boot and NTLDR issues.

Another option.

1.Remove the drive from the 2k3 machine

2.Set the jumper from Master to Slave.

3.Open up another PC.

4.Connect a power cable and ribbon to the problem drive.

5.Reboot your PC and let your BIOS find the new disk.

You will now see the drive as whatever letter Windows assigns it

Save as much data as you can by dragging and copying to the healthy drive.

You can now try and recover the drive

Navigate to x:\WinNT\System32\config [x is whatever drive letter Windows assigns the drive]

Rename the file "System" to "System.bad"

Rename the file "System.alt" to System

Shove the disk back in its original box and try it again.