Bogus goods on eBay

Tankus

A man has been jailed for selling bogus goods on eBay and other websites, just over a year after he was released from prison for precisely the same crime.

Aun Sayal, 21, from Ilford, east London, offered fake goods for sale online and arranged for money to be transferred to him. The purchasers never received the goods, and when they attempted to trace him through email, telephone numbers and addresses left on the websites, they received no response.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/news/0,12...,965758,00.html

For the full story

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

In the last few days I've noticed a HUGE number of zero rated vendors running 20-30 plus auctions for the same item.

Obviously,these could be dealers with multiple items to sell but if so why not run a "Dutch" auction?

Buyers beware!!!...the best safeguard is feedback...only buy from sellers with plenty of positive feedback (as Bluecow recommends).

Cheers.

Shirl.

Never had a problem with ebayers, buying or selling you got to look at what your buying and there feedback, if you get a whiff of anything bad pull out (the deal :lol: )

Remember it's only a very small percentage which do this.

You've sold on Ebay? How much is it to sell there, cos I saw that you have to give them credit card details but they said it was for "verification of identity", and as I was browsing some more I saw that you have to pay to sell stuff there.

I decided to sell my junk on Laundromatic.net instead, cos it's free there - but it's a teen site (warning, lol) :lol:

I've only ever had problem with one user, but otherwise I've had great transactions!

Found this about ebay...

EBay to start charging European taxes

Thanks pjak. EBay Inc. will start charging Value Added Tax (VAT) on European seller fees from July 1, in accordance with European Union regulations, the company said Thursday.

Unless sellers submit a valid VAT exemption number (available to registered businesses) they will be charged their national VAT rate. Rates vary from country to country. VAT is 25 percent in Denmark and Sweden, while Spain and Germany have it set at 16 percent. U.K. sellers will pay 17.5 percent on each fee.

It is too soon to tell what effect this will have on eBay's business in Europe, Jennie Reed, eBay's U.K. marketing communications manager, said Thursday.

The EU issued a directive last year requiring digital services to charge VAT, effective from July 1, and this applies to all eBay sellers who live in Europe, she said.

EBay is also changing its fee structure and in some cases this will see sellers fees reduced, Reed said.

Prices in the U.K., however, will rise. For example, the insertion fee, including VAT, for a car will increase from £5 (US$8) to £6 and for real estate listing from £30 to £35.

Taken From Here.

News source.