I am using HPUX11 with the key shell (keysh). Today I did an fgrep through some large binary files, and after that I found that several keys behave differently than before. This is most inconvenient, and I hope to get my original keys functionality back.

Example: The up-arrow key always brought back the previous command from history, now it displays ^OA.

When using the vi editor, the Page-Up and Page-Down keys could be used to paginate in a file, now they act like the ~ key - changing text from lower to upper case.

Any suggestion what I can do to get the keys to function normally?

[Edit] When using keypad keys outside of the vi editor, they display

• Home: 1~
  • Insert: 2~
  • Delete: 3~
  • End: 4~
  • Page Up: 5~
  • Page Down: 6~

The arrow keys

• Up: ^0A
  • Down: ^0B
  • Right: ^0C
  • Left: ^0D

Thanks! 'reset' did something; it changed the size of the telnet window and the font, but it did not cure the key settings. It also changed the number of columns that are displayed by telnet to 80 (from 132). [Edit] I have changed these values back in the telnet client (Hummingbird HostExplorer V7.0).

$TERM is 'vt320', as it has always been.

Any more suggestions?

Found it! Another profile (for another Unix box) works correctly, so I carefully compared the two profiles. The difference: VT communication mode on the correct profile was set to 7 bit, the incorrect one to 8 bit. Changing it back to 7 bit corrected the problem.