Windows Live Safety Center beta

Windows Live Safety Center beta

Windows Live Safety Center is a new, free service designed to help ensure the health of your PC.

• Check for and remove viruses
  • Learn about threats
  • Improve your PC's performance
  • Get rid of junk on your hard disk

[edit] Runs on Internet Explorer only.

I tested the software after writing the post above. It's about 2 hours after the post, and the thing has been running since then. I cancelled it about 10 minutes ago when it was 9% into the virus scan.

That is really the worst performing scan engine I have ever seen. It ran with Internet Explorer using close to 100% CPU, and running e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y s-l-o-w! (I had AV disabled).

I will run it again over night, but so far this beta product does not look good :blink:

I'm more than happy enough with Nod 32 AV. I use Zone Alarm free firewall. The problem with this being a free all encompassing program, is that people who already have an AV program may try and run the two.

I ran it overnight, and it was indeed completed in the morning. It found

• despite running Ccleaner before starting it, it still found 148KB of temp files (small, but still...)
  • 3 open ports that shouldn't normally be open (21, 25, 80)
  • 1 virus in a zipped backup file of an old computer

What it didn't tell me at the end after clicking the button if it actually fixed the problem. I will run it one more time tonight to see if...

And P.S. the http://safety.live.com/ site is back up and running.