DVD ROM

No. 1 Son-in-Law has given me his, now redundant, GolStar DVD Rom ref Model DRD-840B but he doesn't know what was the software. His old m/c turned it's toes up and they have splashed out on a brand new system. I have a spare drive slot and can slave this with my CDRW. Any suggestions as to what I need? Never been into DVD before.

Guest Nellie2

Please someone correct me if I am wrong....but..... you can use a DVD like a CD-ROM and the generic drivers you have on your PC should be ok for that. But to play DVDs you will need some DVD software, for instance, I have Power DVD installed but there are other ones.

Not having a separate domestic DVD player then yes, especially as I got it for nought. Just spoken to Chris and he says that the software came pre-loaded on their Packard Bell PC.

• 1 month later...

<---taking a wild swing at it.

You don't actually need a program (IE some new software dvd gui like windvd).

You should be able to download the mpeg codecs from somewhere, and use windows media player 9 to play DVD movies.

After you install the codecs, the option 'dvd' or 'play movie'---says something like that--- will be available under the 'play' option on wmp9.

I did this for my girlfriend's computer recently. I have a bunch of software to play movies like 'cyberlink power dvd', 'ATI dvd' (came with the video card), and a few others, but I didn't want to clutter her hard drive with a jillion different programs that all did the same thing. Well, there was that, and the fact that WMP9 looks kind of cool when you use it to play movies.

Ah well-- my 2cents--- google "DVD codecs' or 'mpeg codecs'.