How to share EFS (Encrypting File System) File?

microsoftguy

Hi everyone,

I have a problem trying to utilize the EFS (Encrypting File System) to encrypt and transport confidential data safely and securely in my company's Local Area Network.

The problem is that after I've encrypted the files using EFS I can't seem to manage to share any individual files with any users of the domain on may network. All have the certificate problem most probably I've added the wrong certificate (from PCs to be share the encrypted file) to my host (PC with the encrypted files) list of "Trusted People". May I know what type of certificate is needed to share the file and how to get the certificate to add to the host "Trusted People List"?

Please help.. and hope that you guys understand what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance..

Thanks .. for your reply.. Actually.. I've tried the method that Microsoft recommended and also based on the same article that you've recommended but the problem is that I keep having the certificate verification problem..

Just hope that someone can let me know what are the certificates required in order to share the encrypted files to third party.

Hope you understand what I meant. Thanks.

Hi,

I still haven't find the solution. Really hope that someone could assist me. My main objective is to share an encrypted files with other domain user in a Local Area Network, so that both user can access the encrypted files simultaneously through their respected terminal. I think that it have something to do with the user certificate but I can't seem to figure it out. Please help.

Thank you in advance. :(

Yes, I'm getting error no 1. With the message "No appropriate certificates correspond to the selected user.".

How to solve this? And I know "Note A user must have a valid EFS certificate in the Active Directory to be added." but the problem is how to get a valid EFS certificate in the Active Directory? How to know which certificate to get? I'm really confused, cause I've tried with a few certificates copied from the destination terminal (Encrytion File System & File Recovery certificate) but both didn't work. I've added them to the source terminal (the terminal where the files are encrypted) and added them to the Personal and Trusted People certificate list in the "Certificate Management Console" but also didn't work.. Please help me..

Thanks a lot Scarecrow Man...

So the problem lies in the certificate, not the EFS. This is interesting, since

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;273856

explains that if a certificate is not found, one is generated. Does this link help you at all?

I also found the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...ptfs.mspx#E4FAG

which is an exerpt from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...oy/cryptfs.mspx (long read, but a lot of info)