Linux to Windows

:unknw: Hi, This is my first posting and I have searched but can't find anyone talking about my problem. I had Win98se on my HP computer. A friend took it home to fix minor problems. It can back no Win98 and had Linux-Ubuntu. I can not figure this system out. I can get on the net. That's about it. Now I have instructions on how to do this. I have went into set-up CMOS and put removeables 1st and HD 2nd. Then I booted on a win98 boot disk. This worked and I even put in dir d: to make sure I could acess cd rom drive. All is good. Now this done, FDISK was next. I answered 'y' for larger files. Then it never brings up the fdisk utility. Just a bland dark sceen with a cursuor half way down the page. Someone please help me. Thanks :cray:

:unknw: Hi, This is my first posting and I have searched but can't find anyone talking about my problem. I had Win98se on my HP computer. A friend took it home to fix minor problems. It can back no Win98 and had Linux-Ubuntu. I can not figure this system out. I can get on the net. That's about it. Now I have instructions on how to do this. I have went into set-up CMOS and put removeables 1st and HD 2nd. Then I booted on a win98 boot disk. This worked and I even put in dir d: to make sure I could acess cd rom drive. All is good. Now this done, FDISK was next. I answered 'y' for larger files. Then it never brings up the fdisk utility. Just a bland dark sceen with a cursuor half way down the page. Someone please help me. Thanks :cray:

:huh: Ok, Why would you want to switch back to win98 when you've already got a far superior system on it now ( see my sig ) Ubuntu ( "linux" ) dosen't get infected with viruses... ;)

I can not figure this system out.

Go to "The ubuntu forum" for help with ubuntu.. ;) --- really it's not that hard to figure out, -- It's just differant.. :D

Usually I selected No to fdisk question. But, if you wish to use fdisk to repartition the hdd, first do this command: fdisk /mbr.

Anyway fdisk is not the best way to do it, but since you dislike Linux this is good enough. Anyway just answer No to that stupid question and it should be ok..

A guide here

Hope this helps a little.

But if that is a machine that cannot deal with Windows XP my personal opinion is that you should give Ubuntu a chance. Really ! Is just different and that is all... Play with it for a while.. :)