Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
humbletech99

xcopy: Invalid drive specification

when I do xcopy \\machine\share\path\dir d:\placehere /scyih

I get the following error:

Invalid drive specification

0 File(s) copied

However, this command works on some computers, just not others, and I can find no reason for the difference, these are all Windows 2000 or XP machines...

Try connecting to the drives through a gui if you can try seperating the arguments "xcopy \\machine\share\path\dir d:\placehere /s /c /y /i /h", post back if this doesn't work.

but the directory isn't empty and /e does the same as /s in that case, which is already added in there....

You mean this bit: /scyih ?

Then that's why it isn't working...I assumed that was a directory and amednded that part in my post.

Although you say it works on some computers and not some.... :unsure: Errr you got me on that one.

So it should be...

xcopy /s /c /y /i /h "\\machine\share\path\dir" "d:\placehere\"

p.s Invalid drive spec.

Check that the path to the dir is correct and include the quotes.

Or if you want....

xcopy "\\machine\share\path\dir" "d:\placehere\" /s /c /y /i /h

unc names have worked for me on two machines though, one 2000, one XP, and I tried to recreated this, did net use \\hostname\sharename but no luck...

perhaps the drives are mapped on these 2 machines...

I mean't from which computer...

If your using the batch file locally then you won't have a problem.

p.s. do you still have a problem?

the only relevent line is the xcopy one I already posted since it's the only line that has a problem.

I haven't tried logging off and back on, those aren't my desktops, and I don't see how it could make any difference.

the only relevent line is the xcopy one I already posted since it's the only line that has a problem.

I haven't tried logging off and back on, those aren't my desktops, and I don't see how it could make any difference.

Can the computers where the batch fails actually access \\machine\share\path\dir from the run command?

p.s. Tells us your exact setup, what's where... etc.

If you log off your cached credentials are purged, then you could have a clue as whether it has to do with the computer previously being connected to another one at some time (mapped drive, shared printer or resource, whatever).