Using 2 pcs to download on one and surf net on other

dgg9879

I currently have Celeron 2.8 PC with Gforce 5200 graphics card. I am going to upgrade to a good games machine and keep this machine to download via ADSL

The new main PC will remain in my bedroom where the ADSL/phone connection is.

My plan is to have the other low end computer in the spare room, connecting in to the internet through my main PC to download via wireless router. Since my internet connection is in my room I would turn off the high end PC in my bedroom and move the other PC to the living room to d/l by directly connecting to the modem by running the cord out through my bedroom door to the living room before I go to bed. I do this every evening with my current PC.

I would want the main PC to also be online as well (for playing online games, checking email etc).

My rationale for doing this is that I would prefer to use the old PC for downloading in case something goes wrong eg hacked into, virus etc affecting old PC so it doesn't matter so much, rather than good new PC.

I can't download overnight with a PC in my bedroom because of the noise it makes.

Does this idea make sense? Any better ideas?

Would it be very difficult to get longer cord for the modem so I can download directlly from the spare room without having to move the old PC?

How well will the wireless connection work? The other room is close by but the signal would have to go through walls.

Would the anti virus software (BitDefender) and antispyware software (Spysweeper) probably be able to be installed on both pcs, bearing in mind that I would be online on both pcs sometimes at the same time (using internet on one while the other downloads)?

How difficult would it be to make it so that when I use the internet on the main PC that the PC downloading slows down so my internet connection is acceptable?

I have 256 ADSL (the slowest ADSL and 5 times faster than dialup).

I know I'm asking a lot but any feedback appreciated, especially from those with 2 PCs already doing this type of thing.

I don't understand why you're getting a wireless machine and still connecting the other by a cord. Why not have them both wireless and that would cure your problem? Or have I misunderstood?

I have three machines each connected wirelessly to the Internet. One upstairs in my "study", one in a spare bedroom and one downstairs. It all works very well indeed and it makes no difference to the operation of the others if any are switched off.

I thought one computer would have to be connected by cord to the internet for the other to work wireless. Are you saying I can have a standalone computer download from the internet wireless without any other computer being on? If so, can it download as fast wireless?

I can have any or all of my computers switched on and any or all of them can use the Internet simultaneously. They all operate at the maximum speed available on my line which is the new BT (up to) 8Mbps.

My modem/router is a Netgear 834G click here.

Thanks for your help.

I use bitTorrent to download. Don't use emule anymore because it clashes with zonealarm firewall (Someone on a forum provided instructions on how to use emule with zonealarm but it looks very complicated). I had to muck around a bit to get bitTorrent to work with zonealarm but I worked it out.

Please tell me how difficult is it to set up the built in firewall with 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router

Model DG834G to be compatible with bitTorrent or even emule, for that matter? If it is too hard to do this is there the option of turning off the built in firewall and just using my existing zonealarm software firewall?

I don't use BitTorrent, eMule or any other P2P software so I can't comment on their effect on a router setup.

I have used Sygate Personal Firewall* for a long time now - way before before I had wireless Internet connections. I still use it and haven't bothered to deliberately set up the firewall in the router so, whether it it working in there or not, I don't know. What I do know is that my systems run to my satisfaction and I am not plagued with loads of viruses or malware. Anything that does get through is removed with regular checks with cleaning software.

Remember that it isn't the P2P software itself that is the problem with malware, it is the computers that it may connect you to. Make very sure that you have an up to date antivirus system running and also, regularly check for other maware with, for example, SUPERAntispyWare click here, Ewido click here, a-squared click here. There are a number of others which you can find detail of in the Security section of the forum.

*Note that Sygate is now a discontinued product due to the company having been bought out by the awful Symantec organisation and then dropped because it was in conflict with, and better than, their own very much inferior offering. I can still be obtained if searched for.

Research this carefully. I recently went to a 10meg cable DSL connection and installed a Linksys wrt54gs router to serve 3 wired desktops and a wifi laptop. At the time I used Azureus for torrents but had to move away from it because it was hard to configure through the router. Same thing happened with bitComet so I've now settled on Utorrent which is now working a treat because of the online support at their website.

Browsing speeds on all pcs is excellent.

Does a wireless router also allow data on computer's hard drives to be shared without having to connect them together?

Yes. See my reply to your other thread. I know it only points you to another section of the forum but, the instructions and advice in the tutorials is clear and easy to follow.