USE WITH CAUTION!

djohn

WARNING! Everything in red font you do at your own risk, but I thought this is important enough to pass on. You all know how careful we need to be with TFT screens, both stand alone and Laptops. Mine have never been cleaned, never needed to, just a light flick over everyday with a feather duster. My son's laptop is a different matter altogether though and I clean it up on the outside and clean finger marks of the screen about every 6 months or so, plus give all the programs/applications a good clean out and update. He's in the Armed Forces and very often in dusty or sandy conditions to the extent his screen was covered in fine swirl marks that could be seen even when turned on, plus a couple of fine scratches roughly 1 to 1.5 inches long. Not very deep but enough that they annoyed me when viewing the screen in use and you could just about feel them with the end of your fingernail. I have his laptop at the moment to format, reinstall everything and update to latest specs. The screen was bugging the hell out of me though and I thought it's so bad I really don't have a lot to lose. This is what I did. :shok:

AT YOUR OWN RISK

After dusting the sand off the screen I wrapped a yellow duster round my index finger then dipped it in a bottle of fine T-Cut, (yes, the one you use on cars) and started to rub gently but firmly in very small circles all over the screen. When I was happy with the result, (about 5 minutes) I used a clean soft yellow duster to buff up in small then larger circles for about 8 minutes until the screen was shining as new. I then used a soft sponge wrung out in soapy water to wipe the screen down followed by a buffing with the soft yellow duster for a further 5 minutes or so.

RESULT The screen came up perfect even while turned off and looked at from an angle in the sunlight. Booted up the laptop and just the same, perfect vision. I must repeat, you do this at your own risk, but I think you all know me well enough that I would not mislead you. The screen is just as clean and mark free as when it was first bought. So, if any of you do have a TFT that has been damaged slightly with scratches, it really is worth a try as the results for me are outstanding!