Hiding behind a router

Guest Timeforabeer

Guest Timeforabeer

Hi guys...first posting on this site , fingers crossed.

I've got 3 pc's networked together with internet access through an adsl router. All 3 pc's have nortons firewall installed. Is it possible for me to use the router as a firewall and to uninstall the norton's firewall?

Good evening Timeforabeer (isn't it always?), to answer the first part of your question, it depends on wether your router supports it. Some routers now come with a built in NAT (Network Address Translation) firewall. If your one supports this, then I would definatly ensure that it is functioning. NAT firewalls, simply put, work by hiding the ip addresses of the computers on the private side of the network, and only allowing outside traffic to pass through them for a known request or address.

I have to say that considering how much a good dedicated NAT box costs, the firewalls supplied with low cost routers can only be very basic. Personally, I would also keep the norton firewalls enabled as well. Now I know that others will scream that as overkill, but if you already have the software installed and working, then for a little extra piece of mind, why bother turning them off?

Hope this info helps. Regards, Mr. Mouse.

Guest Timeforabeer

Hello Mr.Invincible Mouse.... :D

Thanks for the reply. As a result of your posting, I had a quick thumb through the manual (which seems to be written in double dutch to me :blink: ).

It reckons that the NATS bit is used for peer-to-peer mapping. I think i understand this to mean that it issues ip addresses dynamically. On further reading, I came across something called "virtual server". This mentions that " the firmware includes the free BSD version firewall. All UDP/TCP ports are protected from intrusion". I have left this on it's default settings as I haven't a clue what it is. I wonder if there is a firewall in use after all?

Thanks in advance

Timeforabeer (and it really is)

Hello again Timeforabeer, right I just had a look on the above website, and the router appears to be a reasonable product for the price. I will be honest and tell you that it is not a brand of which I am familiar, but it seems to offer most of the functions required for a decent home router.

Next, I assume you followed the quick setup, which if I read the site correctly will have automatically enabled the dhcp server and nat protection. Check your pc's ip address (open a command prompt and type ipconfig for details), if it is in the 10.x.x.x address range then this will confirm the last statement.

I would point out though, as I said in my first post, that nat should really be just a first line of defense, and as pointed out on the website "Built-in Security

The built-in Network Address Translation not only allows multiple computers to share a single connection it also provides a first line of defense against hackers/crackers by making it more difficult for them to gain access to your network." even they admit it is only a first line of defense.

Unfortunately the site does not give me the option to download a manual for your router, so should you wish to start using the advanced features to block ports or alter your dhcp settings you will need to thoroughly read the manual that came with it.

I would point out though, that to be honest the chances of someone wishing to hack into your machine are extremely remote, as to be blunt, I doubt very much that you have any info on your pc that would make it worthwhile for a hacker. Also, if someone really wanted access to your machine, then unless you keep it completely disconnected from the internet, you will not be able to stop them.

My advice is to check that nat is on, leave norton on the machines as well then just enjoy your surfing.

Regards. Mr. Mouse. :D

Guest Timeforabeer

Hi Mr Invincible Mouse.

Thanks for your comments..I really appreciate them.

You are correct in that i used the quick setup and everything installed quite nicely.As this is my first attempt at networking, I, was not sure if this needed to be done as a matter of course or whether the nortons firewall is sufficient protection. I will take your advice in that i will leave nortons on and just continue as normal. If it 'aint broke don't fix it springs to mind.

Thanks for all your advice..

Timeforabeer (hic)