Office 2000 Service Packs

I have a dial-up modem and it would take ages to download the Office 2000 service packs. I've never had any of the packs or patches since I bought Office 2000. It's now on my new (fairly) XP machine and I'd like to update it. I've searched Microsoft but don't seem to be able to find any information about service packs distributed on CD as they did with the XP service pack.

I have a minor problem with Publisher and think the service pack may fix it. Can anyone tell me if the packs are available on CD from anywhere?

Also, shortly, I intend to buy Office XP (student version) but want to keep 2000 (professional) on my machine too. I know It's possible to do this but does anyone know of any potential pitfalls to watch out for?

Any advice will be appreciated. :D

Looks like the free CD may only be available to those in the US :angry:

As for Office 2000 and Office XP, one problem you may have is with Access and also with Outlook. I am fairly sure you can only have one version of Outlook installed on your computer at anyone time. Access doesn't always like having two versions on the same PC.

You shouldn't really need to keep Office 2000 on your PC unless you have a *speical* reason because it will not do anything that XP doesn't.

Good evening peter e, I have a similar issue with O2000 and O97. As Sir Radfordin states, you should only have one version of outlook, although I would wonder if it could be installed for single use under different user profiles. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

As for access, the advice I would give, is to install each version to completely different directories. This works with my install. The only real problem I have, is with shortcuts to databases. Windows remembers which version of access you last used, and when you click a shortcut or mdb file, it will automatically open the last used version. The solution to this is simple, all you have to do is open the required version of access, then open the database from there.

Hope this info helps. Regards, Mr. Mouse.

PS Good to see you here Sir Radfordin, this forum's gain I believe :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, sir radfordin and mr mouse. I shall consider your advice carefully. I shall not want two copies of Outlook so that's not a problem. But I use 2000 at work and I want to get to grips with office XP at home but still be able to revert to 2000 when I need to.

Anyway, I've been told to go to bed now (better humour her). Thanks again for your input, fellas.

PS I think I will like this forum but I'm not used to the layout, all the buttons etc yet. Why does it say win 3.1 at the side of my name? :D

Getting to grips with Office XP is not going to be a simple task. It will do all the things you know how to do in 2000 in a similar fashion. The new bits will be things you have to discover! One major problem with computing is it often takes someone to show you what 'can' be done for you to then work out how to do it. I don't think you would have any problems only having XP on your system, you will be able to open/convert/save as in 2000 format. It would only be if you got stuck and didn't have a clue how to do something that it may come in handy. But with a forum like this you won't be getting stuck ;-)

one other thing, when you d install XP make sure it doesn't decide its going to take everything else off! Has a habit of doing that one!

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm/go/di...67513/forumid/1

If you check out the above thread in PCA, you can apply as I did for the free MS Security Resource Kit.I applied on 17 Dec and received it before Christmas.

It comprises 3 CD's and includes XP SP1,2k SP3, 120 day trial of XP and 2k Server and various other useless things - but it's free.

Regards

Thanks all for your responses. I know where to come when I have a problem with Office XP.

Leo49, thanks for the link to the security resource kit. Yes, it's not what I want but I've sent for it anyway because it's free and I didn't want your posting to be wasted. :)