Malware infestation

CurlyWhirly

I've just spent the best part of 5 hours cleaning a friend's PC of malware!

It isn't him but his boy who is into P2P.

The PC had these P2P programs on it:

Filepipe P2P, Limewire, Zultrax P2P, Bearshare, iMesh, KaZaA Lite, WinMX and Frostwire :blink:

There was also a program called MacroVirus which I think is dodgy so I got rid of that as well.

After running countless scans and getting rid of the malware, his internet connection no longer worked so it's just as well I had heard about winsockXPfix and I'm pleased to say that it worked.

I know some people are ignorant to the perils of P2P but I can't believe how much it slowed his PC down as it was like wading through treacle despite it being quite a powerful machine.

I know it's quicker to reinstall the O/S but all he had was a recovery CD which would mean that he would lose everything and he had holiday photos on there and didn't see why he should lose them because of his son's habits!

A lot of people do this for some reason. Its awesome you fixed it though. I've seen a couple computers that only have virus scanners and they constantly use file sharers to get music and things and when there computers slow down to a stop or taking a minute or two to open the start menu do they call someone. Or these people that think sp1 is better than sp2. They wonder whats so bad about it because there spyware scanner gets everything coming in unfortunately it doesn't stop all the very popular exploits that have come out before sp2. I've seen tests were computers with sp1 installed have been invaded with in I think 4 minutes. I hope Vista changes a lot of this!

I hope Vista changes a lot of this!

It's all very well and good having improved security in Vista but the owner must take some responsibility as well in my opinion.

I wouldn't touch any P2P with a barge pole personally.

I forgot to mention that he was so annoyed with the situation that he has now password protected his account to avoid the same thing happening again.