Self Destructing Dvd's

"This DVD will self-destruct in 48 hours." This could be the warning message on a new type of DVD to be launched next month.

The disc, called an EZ-D, will be sold in an airtight envelope. Once the package is opened, the surface of the disc will start to react with the air, slowly changing colour from red to an opaque black over the next two days.

DVD players use a laser beam to read information held on an information layer beneath the surface of a disc, so once the surface becomes opaque the DVD becomes unusable. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3064327.stm

Will this put AOL out of the 'free coaster' market??? :(

Guest Nellie2

And what is the point of a self destructing DVD??........ If I spend my hard earned dosh on one then I would like to keep it longer than two days.......and.......are they bio-degradable???......Probably not.

i saw an article on this a while ago (can't remember where though) and i think that the idea was to charge £2.50 per disc and treat it like a normal rental without the bringing back part. This would appeal to blockbuster who would no longer have to worry about where there discs are or replacing missing discs.

the only problem i could see is what happens if the disc doesnt work when you get it home and you cant get to the shop for 3 days....

Guest Nellie2

Yes I read the bit about renting......... but it just seems so wasteful. How much energy does it take to make one of these disks?? Can you recycle them??

Nellie quote from the article :

Fortunately for the environment, there's no need to throw EZ-Ds away once they've expired, as Flexplay has arranged a recycling programme - in the United States at least - with a Missouri-based company called GreenDisk.

EZ-D purchasers will be encouraged to post their expired discs to the company, which arranges for them to be melted down. The resulting polycarbonate can be used in the car, computer and telecommunications industries, according to Flexplay.

And of course, they have to add the little 'security expert' bashing paragraph, typical BBC, I'm beginning to see them for the Labour ar*se lickers they are :D

Hackers

And there's little doubt that hackers will be keen to see if it's possible to foil the system, perhaps by polishing off the opaque black surface of an expired disc to make it payable again, or by storing discs in a liquid to slow down the oxidisation process.

Guest Nellie2

Redhat.......... missed the bit about the re-cycling but it still worries me because people will just throw them away.......so what I would want to know is - are they bio degradable and how much damage would they do to the environment? :(