Transplants And George Best

Guest LB

The failure of footballer of George Best to refrain from drinking alcohol despite a life-saving liver transplant just 12 months ago has prompted questions about the merits of offering transplant surgery to alcoholics.

Some say it is a waste of a precious and scarce resource, but others say there is no reason why people suffering from such a debilitating disease should be discriminated against

So should we give the luxury of transplants to those who show wanton regard and disrespect for themselves and others?

Guest Nellie2

Well as far as I am concerned alcoholism is an illness. Those suffering from it should be helped and not ostracised.

To me it is a bit like saying don't treat anyone over the age of eighty as they are bound to pop it soon and it would be a waste of resouces or don't waste money on a child with Downs Syndrome as they can never make a useful contribution to society so what's the point!!!!

Both of those statements are cruel and untrue......... as is saying that an alcoholic is beyond help and should be left to destroy themselves.

Everyone in this country should have access to the NHS.......... I don't think George got a new liver because he was George...... I think he was lucky that one became available as he needed it!!

there is the other side of the coin where help is offered, given and taken and then thrown back into the faces of the helpers.

Perhaps its time certain people grew up and took responsibility......

Guest Nellie2
there is the other side of the coin where help is offered, given and taken and then thrown back into the faces of the helpers.

And you could say the same about any teenager that ever grunted at you....... but do we give up on them??.......... No.

You and I can think rationally because we don't have this illness........ but this illness does cloud your judgement and your ability to be responsible for yourself. I feel sorry for George because he will kill himself and the liver he was so generously given. But for every George out there, bent on self destruction, is another person who will take the help that is offered and manage to turn their life around.......... now surely that is worth it!

I think that to compare a teenager to someone with alcoholism is like comparing apples and pears.

Teenagers are hormone flooded, still learining and therefore mostly naive, however, alcoholism, whilst it is a disease, is a self inflicted one.

There are millions of people out there with incurable diseases that were not "caught" by choices they made or weaknesses in their character but were contracted by some other means.

Should the NHS really waste money on those that are not willing to help themselves or should/would the money be better spent helping those less fortunate and not causing their own problems?

I have every sympathy with those that have a problem and then have the courage to face the problem and do their level best to beat it, but those that time and time again simply give in surely are not worthy of the same level of sympathy?

Guest Nellie2

Well in some circumstances you could say Aids is self inflicted. Would you condone denying someone treatment just because they were stupid enough to get carried away and have sex without using a condom??

James Whale (does anyone else listen to him?) just said something that I entirely agree with. He's being a very sad little man.

IMO, he isn't worth worrying about, if he treats the people that gave him a liver, and the surgeons, in such an ungrateful way. Pilluck.

As for the teenager comparison, we're growing up and maturing as time goes by :) I can understand your point, but George Best is a grown man, and needs to act like one before people give up on him.

I feel for his wife.

James Whale of Radio Aire fame??? What an absolute tossa he is !

I believe that it is an illness. If he has had a liver transplant already, and he is still drinking, then he should go to the back of the queue. Else I believe that every person in the UK has the right to a transplant (if available) when needed.

Just because he is famous, he has paid his taxes like everyone else and so should qualify like everyone else. I bet loads of alcoholics relapse after a transplant, it is only the famous ones we hear about and 'mock' for it !

Life's too short, you might be run over by a bus tomorrow ! Live now and worry about it later...... ;)

scarthy, i'm not mocking the man, simply saying that he is not worthy of the sympathy being shown to him. How many times has he been given help only to throw it back again.

Nellie i think the aids comparison is getting a bit desparate, most people dont contract aids through stupidity anymore, its more ignorance........

George best is not ignorant he is well aware of the consequenses of what he does, he is simply stupid

I support the 'illness' argument. Trouble is, George wasn't getting any support at home. His wife still drinks like a fish in front of him as well as encouraging him to accompany her to parties etc.

Having said that....any footballer with past or present connections with Man Utd does not deserve to be treated humanely - ;)

whilst agreeing with the man u comment, it is surely a matter of self discipline...

if you know that doing something is going to damage yourself and/or others around you then you don't do it, regardless of what others are doing.