Wanted

Agent Smith

Thanks for those guys. I couldn't find any under £235.00! This is a bit of a long story, but the particular machine I want this chip for, has 6 different os setup's on removable caddies. I don't really want to change the mobo at the moment, as you can guess how long that's going to take to alter all the set ups :( Also if I change the mobo, I'll end up swapping everything graphics, sound etc.

I have found a 266 fsb for £43, is it a: possible and b: fairly easy to reduce it's speed. I've heard tell it can be done with pencil lead.

Thanks anyway. Mr. M. :D

If it is a straight athlon 1400 @ 266Mhz.

Because the board doubles the cpu. 133Mhz becomes 266Mhz and 100Mhz becomes 200Mhz.

A 133Mhz ( X 2) chip multiplied by 10.5 (multiplier) = 133 x 10.5 = 1400Mhz.

A 100Mhz ( x 2) chip multiplied by 10.5 (multiplier) = 100 x 10.5 = 1050Mhz.

If you put a 266 chip in it will run at 200. The only trouble would be is it will have a multiplier setting of 10.5. So the speed of the chip will be 1.05Ghz.

It should be as easy as dropping the chip in. Of course with it running at 200Mhz you should find that it runs quite cool.

Cheers AndySD, but the performance diff between a 950 tbird and a 1.3 duron are hardly worth the bother. To be honest I've never been a fan of cut down pro's either durons or celerys.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and change the board an all. The hammer family is out now, so maybe it's time to go 64 bit. B)

Mr. M.

Finally went for £66 (£70 inc post). That was more than I had decide to pay. £56.00 was my top price. Going to change mobo now and get a decent processor.

Either 3.2 xp or maybe new hammer chip, have to read reviews on those.

Thanks all for your support and enthusiasm though.

Mr. Mouse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...