Medical Science - Playing With Nature?

Guest LB

Darwins theory of Evolution is pretty much widely accepted. It states that survival of the fittest ensures continuation of the species.

On that basis, with the advances made in medicine in the past 100 years, are we as a species playing with nature and therefore weakening the human race?

Look back 100 years at the diseases that were ravaging the earth:- smallpox and influenza to name just two, along came man and all but eradicated these diseases, so what do we have now? Aids, HIV, Cancer, SARS and many others all of which we are struggling to find a cure. Take anti-biotics - these are given out willy nilly and are now being rendered ineffective against so called superbugs.

So should we stop now before it gets any worse or should we carry on?

Obviously we must look after and help all sick people. However regarding anti biotics, I agree that they are handed out willy nilly. Last year I had a tooth root removed. A few days later I felt discomfort and there was a small jagged piece of broken off root protruding from the gum. The dentist easily removed it, and then gave me a prescription for anti biotics. I queried this, and she said "it's just in case you get an infection". I pointed out to her that anti biotics are meant to treat infections which are already present. I said that I would take the prescription with me but would only use it if I actually had an infection set in. By the next morning the gum had completely healed over. This sought of over prescribing, plus the fact that in many countries anti biotics are available over the counter has caused these super bugs.

Guest Nellie2

And don't forget all the anti biotics that are pumped into animals as they are grown for meat!!

I don't think it is so much medical science as it is our lifestyle. Think about it, we lead sedentary lives.... we don't have to hunt our food or rescue damsels in distress any more....no exercise means heart disease and obesity to name two. We consume processed, unnatural foods and we subject our bodies to choking atmosphere's in the cities and all sorts of chemicals in the water.... is it any surprise that cancers are on the increase.

As far as HIV and Sars are concerned........ well that could be natures way of trying to slow down the human race!!!!!

So no, I don't think you can put this down to medical science on its own.

The ability to treat disease is an evolutionary component . If there is any interference in natural selection it is the fact that we go out of our way to extend our medical knowledge to 'medically inferior' peoples. The reason we do this, and not just let them die to make more room for ourselves and corner resources, is compassion. Now, if you were to ask 'Is compassionan an evolutionary setback ?' I'd be guessing at an answer, but I'm certain that medicine is not. Medicine has saved many individuals enormously important to the evolutionary process.