Turn off extend my windows desktop onto this monitor

Okay i have a laptop that the screen is messed up. So i plugged in an external monitor and could see everything fine. So i was trying to figure ut hat was oing wrog so went into the disay properties window and clicked "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" Now the external monitor has the background image. Now i cant do anything. How can i turn this off? Note i cant see anything on my laptop as the screen is bust. So is there a shortcut key combination that could turn this off as i am essentially doing it blind? Please help i just need to see the screen again so can save work and throw away latop.

You can move (drag-and-drop) any window from your main desktop to the extended desktop. After that you won't be "blind" any more.

See http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/stayconnec...lemonitors.mspx for additional information.

The problem is i cant see anything to drag and drop as my laptop screen is not working so can only see the external screen that is plugged into the laptop.

Sorry, I didn't get that part. What happens if you shut down, disconnect the external monitor, then restart?

Also, do the 'FUNCTION+F5' or 'FUNCTION+F8' (mentioned in the earlier link) do anything for you?

I have shut down ( cant really shut down as i cant see the screen so i just switch off the computer ) and disconnect the monitor and restart. Have tried the 'FUNCTION+F5' or 'FUNCTION+F8' and the screen just flickers and stays the same. I thought that if i unplug the external monitor, start up the laptop, ( note will not be able to see as the screen is not working ) go into the display properties and un select - extend my window desktop onto this monitor. that should work but are there shortcut keys that will allow me to do this? I know if im in the display properties if i press ctrl tab i can move, but i dont know how to open up the display properties windows using shortcut keys.?

You should be able to do almost any function with shortcut keys; e.g. shutdown -> Start (Ctrl+Esc) -> Shut Down (u) -> Enter. This will shut down the way you did last (Restart, Shutdown, Standby, or Logoff); if you remember how you shut down last time, you can change it with the arrow-up/arrow-down keys.

To get the Display Properties -> right-click on the desktop, then type the character 'r'. Switch between the tabs with Ctrl+Tab.

Another thing to try: can you get into Safe Mode? Does the display function correctly in Safe Mode? If so, try a System Restore to a point before the problem started.