Desktop Icon Font Color

Alright for some crazy reason, windows has decided that unless I have a blank white background, the font on the desktop will be white (even with the thin black outline it's still near impossible to read). So is there anyway to change this? I tried the appearance options under icons, but the color part was greyed out. Any ideas how to fix this? I also have TuneUp Utilities 2007 installed but it doesn't have any options for changing font color either. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

I think you may have set your Tune Up Utilities - System Optimizer" - "Optimize your Computer configuration" - Visual effects ........... for "maximum performance" ?

If so this may have caused the greying out. Mine shows the same :)

No I optimized everything in TuneUp Utilities myself. But I thought, at least at one point, that the desktop icon font color was determined for background color, which would explain why it was there if you had a streched image, but aparently not.

Also on the topic of appearance, I used TuneUp Utilities to create and implement my own boot screen for windows which I really want to share with someone but they don't have TuneUp Utilities. I have exported the boot screen file and everything so I can give it to them, but how would they go about installing it? Thanks.

Lastly, I have disabled the welcome screen in WinXP, but the login prompt uses the xp theme, is there any way to make it use the classic them? I really dislike the xp theme.

your using "classic windows" if you choose something else, you will get something else...

But as long as its classic, you cant change it...

If you choose "XP look" you will be able to choose f.x. font color...

Well I can customize font effects as much as font, bold and italics, just not color. So you're saying if I change the style to XP and then change it all manually, I will be able to change icon font color? That is really stupid of windows. Oh well I'll give it a try.

Okay, so no that didn't work at all. Here is a screenshot.

I also figured out that you can't change the bootscreens without a program, but I was able to find a simple one for people to install so that issue is solved.

Does anyone know how to make my login prompt windows classic? I know it can be done as I've seen it on other computers running WinXp, but I can't find it anywhere in normal windows settings or tuneup utilities.

Edit: I was using classic modified and since I changed the background and other font effects it was just listed under "My Current Theme"

Edit2: It appears there is a time limit on how long after a post you can edit. This seems really stupid to me...

post-8602-1186845274_thumb.jpg

Hello Blind Masseur. Reason for edit facility time-out is just a safeguard to stop post from being modified completely out of original context. If you find you need to add more content after the time limit then please feel free to make as many additional post as required. If it is of real importance for the topic/post to be modified then please contact a moderator who will be only too pleased to assist you... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Help here isn't all to great. I've solved all of my problems on my own... anyways, for other people the way to make the logon screen use the classic them is to open up the regedit, navigate to:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

And change the value for DllName to:

%SystemRoot%\Resources\themes\Windows Classic.theme

Thanks to Steve Sinchak at TweakXP.com for this.

Still haven't found any way to change the desktop icon font color but I'm sure google will help me.