New Harddisk Questions

JasonMu

Hi All,

My first post :)

Looking to upgrade my exisiting PC to a larger HDD, its currently an old ATA 100 30G drive (FAT 32)

Looking to move to a SATA drive @ 250 gigs.

Couple of questions :-

1) Any recommendations for SATA drives, my main board can only use the 150Mbps standard (Sata 1), I guess Sata 2 is backward compatible

2) Use windows XP, plus standalone antivirus & firewall s/w any programmes I can use to seamlessy transfer all data to boot from a new HDD without having to re-register programmes etc, I've heard of symantec ghost & acronis true image.

PC is 3.0G pentium, with 2G ram, 128 ATI grahpics card (AGP & PCI - not the newer serial PCIe variant), running windows XP, my exisiting HDD is some 5 years old & I think the system bottleneck as has no / very small cash - its slow.......

I don't know where you shop for computer parts, unless you live near Toronto or have a really good local computer store, I recommend NewEgg. Here is a really good deal for a WD (Western Digital) drive that is 500GB, I suggest you look for the same model (I didn't see any SATA 1 250GB drives):

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...2&cid=HD.96

For hard drive manufacturers I recommend Western Digital personally. Seagate is also pretty reliable. Just don't get a Maxtor. I've never heard of Maxtor drive lasting longer than 2 years.

As for the second issue, you could manually transfer it over but that would leave all of the registry information behind. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I don't know any prgrams that do it because I've never had to.

Acronis TI makes cloning hard drives very easy. You should be able to download the Acronis manual from their web site - it's quite long but you should be able to pick up the parts you need to read without absorbing the whole of it.

I can also recommend Acronis for backups of your system - all computers should have one.