Deny permissions

Winadmin

Hi All,

This is probably one that has been out there before and I had it licked once but I can't find the correct information any more.

I have a couple of files I want network users to only have read access to in a public folder on the network where they have full control of everything else.

I have set the permissions on the files to read only and denied write and delete for the domain users group.

They can open and read the files and they can not change them without saving them as another file as expected but they can freely delete the files even though the delete permission is denied. I know there is another permission on the folder or somewhere that has to be set but I can't figure it out. These files are on a Windows 2003 server accessed mostly by XP clients.

Any help?

Thanks

If it is a domain, you may need to set the policies for the user group these members are a part of. If you are using Local User Accounts rather than Domain User Accounts, you may not be able to set permissions. They will be logging in as anonymous and therefore cannot have any permissions set.

My first question is, are these domain users or local users?

More information here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

If it is a domain, you may need to set the policies for the user group these members are a part of. If you are using Local User Accounts rather than Domain User Accounts, you may not be able to set permissions. They will be logging in as anonymous and therefore cannot have any permissions set.

My first question is, are these domain users or local users?

More information here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

These are domian users. Setting deny delete permission on the files does not keep them from being deleted. Removing allow delete child subfolders on the directory won't allow any files to be deleted. What I am looking for is the combination of settings that make a file with the deny delete set to actually not be deletable and leave all the other files delete properties alone.

I've been through the article 308419 and it doesn't explain things enough to help me.