Windows XP on Multiple Computers?

onlineapps

Hi,

I'm looking to buy XP for my two HP Compaq nc6000 laptops (they already have XP, but it's all messed up and I need to reinstall it and don't have an XP disk). I've got a few questions.

First of all, on NewEgg.com, there are two versions of XP. OEM and retail. What's the diff?

Second, how many computers can you put XP on? And if the answer is one per copy, is there anything to prevent you from putting it on multiple computers?

To install XP on multiple computers, you need the retail version of the OS. The OEM is only good for one computer. The OEM requires online activation, and if you have to make alot of hardware changes, or reinstall the system alot, you will have to activate over the telephone instead. This is MS's attempt to prevent it from being installed on multiple computers.

Each product key for Windows XP is for one computer only - regardless of whether it is OEM or retail.

You can, of course install it on as many machines as you wish but you will find that you can only activate one and after thirty days, if not activated, the O/S operates with much reduced functionality as to be almost useless.

If it possible to transfer WXP to another machine but you must not have it installed on more than one machine at the same time. Microsoft check these things with their Windows Genuine Advantage scheme and Windows updates.

OEM software is intended for equipment builders to be installed on one machine. It is not transferable and if the machine dies, the O/S dies with it.

In your situation, onlineapps, provided you have a product key (MS sticker on the back of the machine with a 25 digit code) you should be able to re-install XP provided if is the same version (home or pro) as the version that was installed previously.

Did you not receive any recovery software when you obtained the machines? An enquiry to HP might be of help to you.