Stopping auto load at startup

nareloc

How can I stop programmes automatically loading when I re-boot? I have gone to msconfig and de-activated the programmes I don't use, which is great as long as I put the pc on standby, but if I shut down and restart they are all there agin in the system tray - slowing down the startup every time. I am running Windows XP Home

Many thanks

nareloc, I'd just like to confirm andsome's suggestion of using startup inspector. Many people, both experienced and otherwise get lulled into editing things themselves and find it very tricky to disable auto-launching programs. In some cases the programs themselves will have an option in 'Settings' or 'Options' which will allow one to change it easily. It is often not so easy. Without getting too detailed, programs can be automatically launched from the config.sys, autoexec.bat, winstart.bat, win.ini, wininit.ini and services.msc files, not to mention the dozen or so registry keys which store launching information, and the more simple 'Startup' folder. Attempting to change these things manually often leads to your computer exploding...

BANG! :D :D