Watching Television

Guest spikeychris

What the BBC actually do (and ITV as well, check out Trisha or Emmerdale) is take the 4:3 content and zoom up to 14:9 within a 16:9 frame.

Hence the end result is it looks perfect on analogue which always shows 16x9 content in 14x9 and gives a black bar on the left and right on digital. Whichever way you look at it, it will never be a perfect solution but any attempt to broadcast in widescreen should be applauded.

and the instructions for NTL RGB switching:-

Press TV guide on your remote

Select option 4 Options

Select option 4 TV Screen Settings

Select Video output to TV & change from Composite to RGB & then press TV

your scart lead should be connected to scart socket 1 on your TV as this is the one which has RGB capability (if you connect this through a video it will not work)

Guest spikeychris

MASSIVE thanks to Lived Backwards followed the instructions to the T and all is perfetcamundo.......like avin a new tele...I STRONGLY advise all to do the same...

Chris

Guest spikeychris

Bryan, hope you managed to get it done between Coronation St and Eastenders, I got baaaaad looks whilst Roy Cropper was coughing up and she could only see it in a one" screen

Coronation Streets on.........I nearly got throttled, can't go anywhere near the TV until it's finished  :D

BVW, you need to have a second remote that she doesn't know about and use it to keep turning the tele over, do it a couple of times and watch the steam rise!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest spikeychris

So pleased I started this thread, I've done a bit of ferreting around at appears that RGB is a purer signal and therefore better quality (drives the

electron guns of the TV directly)

WOW I've got GUNS in my tele....... I'd of paid more if I knew...

Lived Backwards.........you must think I'm mad, I don't have a death wish you know ;) ......messing about with the TV whilst the soaps are on, she'd kill me! After all these years I know my place :D

Sorted the Tv by the way, slightly different with Telewest, set it to RGB....sorted!

Must go now, my little nest of vipers is calling...............