Logging User Accounts

Andrewmac

Hi,

Iam new to this forum and need your help guys.

I run a small office network with approx 6 xp based pc's with 2 users to each machine. I have recently received a complaint from a user that she believed her activities have been logged on the second users account/desktop.

My Questions are:

1. Is this possible?

2. How was it done?

3. Can i check when it was done?

4. How do i get rid of it?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Andrew

Hello Andrewmac. What evidence did the first user give you for claiming this?

One way the second user could do this (which you've probably all ready checked), is the second user has administrator privileges, or has been able to change her account to an administrator account, or has installed some sort of keylogger or spyware. Or the second user knows the first user's password (or the Administrater's password). I'm sure there's other ways as well (like just looking over her shoulder).

Or the first user is just imagining it...

So the answers are:

1. Definitely

2. See above

3. Yes, but I don't how. You need an answer from an experienced network manager.

4. Depends on how it was done. Get hold of a copy of "Microsoft Windows XP Networking & Security" by Ed Bott & Carl Siechert.