Cd/dvd Audio Connections

My system uses a K7S5A M/B and am running Win 98SE. My secondary drive is a CDRW as the primary. The audio link was plugged into CD in2. Why? I'm not sure but audio CD's have always played OK. I have now installed a DVD ROM as slave to the CDRW. I rummaged around and located a spare audio connector, which had a slightly different but white connector next to the black one at one end. This fitted the CD in1 socket. Thanks to AndySD I have now loaded CyberLink Power DVD Ver. 2.55. As far as I can tell the DVD is working OK in that it will play audio CD's and a DVD I borrowed from No.2 Daughter - Monsters Inc. But the CDRW now longer plays audio CD's . Any suggestions?

post-26-1060377590.gif

Guest ellas

yeah put the dvd as master,cdrw should not need a audio connector,I have 2 machines with the dvd as master and cdrw as slave and only the dvd is connected to the cd-in on the mobo but both cdrw's play audio fine.

Did the swap around, as suggested with both CD audio leads in. Couldn't play music from either drive. Then did the Control Panel, multimedia trick and enabled the DVD drive as the default drive for music. That worked. Is there anyway of enabling both drives for music? Just out of curiosity seeing as the mobo has audio sockets for 2 x CD's.

post-26-1060527365.gif

Doug,

If you let windows manage your dvd drive, as it is now.

Connect the other drive with the cable to the sound card. You will then be able to play audio\dvd music through both drives.

What this will give you is, windows will use the IDE ribbon cable as a sound cable to transport the audio to the soundcard.

The other cable takes the sound direct to the sound card.

You can then use them one at a time.

But not together. :lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Monkey Hanger. Thanks for the tips. Have just implemented them and all is OK. Sorry it's taken so long to carry out your suggestions only being retired and tring to fit in holidays abroad, then visiting friends in the south, doing a bit of running doen't leave a lot of time to spare. :D

post-26-1062166768.gif