Cooling

Guest LB

hey all,

i am having a little trouble keeping my cpu cool...i have installed it as per the instructions, using thermal paste and a coolermaster fan. It is not overclocked in any way.

As soon as i put the side on my case the CPU temp jumps by approx 4 degrees. The case is approx 3 years old but please don't ask which make as i don't have a clue.......

I am assuming that i need to improve airflow around the case, but what is the best way to do this, is drilling holes in the side of my case going to help or do i actually need to spend some money and get a better fan???

any help offered would be much appreciated

LB

If it's an AMD processor then pads are recommended and not paste.

What mobo do you have? What temperatures do you get? Is the case in a cupboard/ computer desk? Is the cooler correct for the CPU or the old one from your previous CPU???

I ask these because a friend who has an Asus 333 mobo had really high temperatures (so high the comp was shutting down). A man at a comp fair told him that those mobo's had a common fault with some temp sensors on them. He had only had the comp for a few months and so asked Evesham (who made it) about that particular mobo and told them about his temperatures. They were very unhelpful at Evesham and didn't offer any help at all. In the end, and because his tower was in a unit, he took the side off his case and cut a hole in the back of the cupboard. The result was that it lowered his temperatures enough for the machine not to crash...

So basically if your tower is inside a computer desk ie. with not much room for the air to circulate or a door on the front for example. You could try removing the side of the case and making sure the warm air that comes out of the rear of the case has somewhere to escape to.

I have noticed my processor (Athlon XP1900+), particularily lately with the hot weather, has been upto 61c (usually 50-55c) with no workload either !!!. My tower is on top of the desk and has no enclosement at all. On really hot days I point the big fan we use straight at it. I have even thought about placing a tray infront of the air intake with icecubes/ frozen peas on it, so it cools the air...(the crap my mind thinks about ! - I think I need therapy :blink: )

Hope this helps...

;)

i'm using a cooling paste, couldn't find thermal pads anywhere....

i have an Athlon XP 1800 on an MSI KTV3 ultra mobo. The case is sitting on the floor near a computer desk with over 6 inches clearance between it and the surrounding objects, and at least 12 inches at the back....

The heatsink and fan is a coolermaster silent that was supplied with the cpu that was bought from Watford Electronics.

sitting typing this it is currently 56 degrees but with the recent hot weather it has been reaching 60-65c. This is with the side off of the case, with the side on the temp goes up about 5 degrees.

Hi Lived Backwards,

Didn't the heatsink already have a pad stuck on it or floating about in the box somewhere? I know you can get them for about 50p each...I have seen them at computer fairs and also noticed them on certain sites. (don't remember them specifically but you could try Maplin or Overclockers etc).

What is the setup on your comp for fans? I have drawn (apologies in advance) the setup on my system. I have a fan in the PSU pushing out wards and a case fan also pushing out at the rear of the case. The resulting expellation of the air pulls fresh air in to the case at the bottom front (a small grille). As long as the fans are blowing out of the case at the rear, there shouldn't be any problems. You can always add extra fans to the case...(though I haven't attempted it myself yet ;))...

post-36-1060814156.jpg

Hi.

My AMD Athlon 200XP runs at about 55c, and in the hot weather is has also been around 60c - 65c.

AMD's do run hotter that Intels, so dont worry about it. I have my computer set to auto shut down if the CPU hits 85c just incase.

thanks for the response chaps...

looking at your drawing scarthy shows that i need some more fans, i have one on the heatsink and one in the power supply.....

either that or a new case is in order, now to convince the missus that it really is needed.....

I've only ever had "Intel Inside" and never used AMD at all, not by choice really...they just happened to be inside the machines when I bought them.

Over time I've read countless threads about people concerned about their AMD temperatures, fans, fsb multipliers not correct, chips not running at the correct speed etc........

I have absolutely no idea what temperature my machines run at, not a clue. Never been bothered about it at all, knowing that Intel chips will shut down if there's a problem.

I'm sure AMD are an excellent product, but they seem to be a lot of fuss to me.

This isn't a criticism, just my viewpoint :)