UDP Port 53.

Slyke

I have an open source DHCP and DNS server software on my computer (Computer1 on This Thread).

DHCP Server works fine.

DNS Server on the other hand is a bit of a problem:

The DNS server reports that UDP Port 53 is already in use.

So i did a netstat -bano to try to figure out what was listening on port 53.

Here are my results:

UDP 192.168.2.1:53 *:* 1448

c:\windows\system32\WS2_32.dll

c:\windows\system32\ipnathlp.dll

ntdll.dll

C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll

[svchost.exe]

I have no idea why these programs are listening on port 53 or how to stop them. This is on XP Pro.

Yeah, I've ran a few netstats to try to find out why this port was being listened to. So far the only netstat was the netstat -bano that picked up a program listening to port 53. What are these programs for? Like, why are they listening for DNS requests on port 53 for? And more importantly, how do i stop them? I think it's a service, but don't know which one.

I found an article Here, I thought i should mention that i have Internet Connection Sharing activated, ie it is relaying an internet connection from 192.168.20 to 192.168.2.1. So maybe there's a service that's listening for DNS queries on 192.168.2.1 and that's why it's already being listened upon!

The thing is, how can i deactivate (Or at least change the port) the inbuilt DNS query forwarder so i can use my own, without disable the internet connection sharing?

Maybe i should look around for more software so this computer could act like a proxy and then disable ICS... but i'd rather just turn off the DNS forwarder.