The road that lies ahead...

After learning about programming using Microsoft's VB .NET, I now want to learn something a bit better than a simple programming language.

I can only think right now of C, but I obviously want to go through options first before learning a good enough language. I want to start learning something with which I can build stable, powerful and even only half-decent programs with, and also have a GUI for them.

Does anyone know of a good programming language other than C which I can do this with?

I'm now using Ubuntu, so VB NET and Delphi are probably out of the window, and I think Delphi is a language for program databases or something anyway, but yeah. Something I can use with Ubuntu too.

Have you completed VB .NET?

C by itself is just a language, without any GUI capabilities. C++ and C# are the Microsoft extended C languages with GUI for Windows.

Delphi is a Pascal-based GUI capable language by Borland. It supports many platforms.

Java is a platform-independent language by SUN Microsystems.

I completed the tutorial I was following when I was posting on here about it, and I've also read some text books, made my own programs and tried to help out a bit at some forums but after changing to Ubuntu I think it's time I learnt something a bit more OS independent.

The main one I am trying to learn at the minute is either Pascal or C. Haven't quite worked out which I'd like to do first though. The tutorials I am finding on Pascal aren't like usual tutorials as they mostly run through and explain pieces of Pascal codes, so I may leave that one alone. C is a little more complex than Pascal.

So I'm going to keep looking until I find one which satisfies me, and will post here if I need any help on the codes probably too. :)