Default gateway

Xeon

Hi, there!

Newbie here and could use some help with the one below:

WinXP Pro SP2 client workstation;

One Ethernet network interface: 169.254.139.11, mask 255.255.0.0;

?: What is the valid reason for any networking app on this computer not functioning if the default gateway has not been specified/set up? [ LOL -> just need some theory stuff i guess, if you will ]

Tnx!

Unusual that you haven't had a response.

Most of our Networking experts are based in the USA so, because of the time difference, perhaps they haven't seen your thread yet.

Hi, there!

?: What is the valid reason for any networking app on this computer not functioning if the default gateway has not been specified/set up? [ LOL -> just need some theory stuff i guess, if you will ]

Tnx!

It would come as no surprise that any networking app on a computer which does not have a default gateway does not function. Default gateways provide a "bridge" between a client computer and another network (in most cases, the Internet).

From your link-local IP address (169.254.x.x) and your unusually large subnet mask it looks like you don't have those set up properly either. Unless you know otherwise, you should enable DHCP so that your IP address, netmask and gateway IPs are assigned automatically. Do this in the Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > TCP/IP > Properties dialog. Then you can get a new IP by opening a command prompt (type "cmd" in the Run dialog) and typing "ipconfig /renew" without quotes. Once again this will only work on a network with a DHCP server (which is almost all of them).

Sorry for the slow response. I usually check the Networking Board a few times a day.

A Default Gateway is an address through which traffic destined for unknown networks flows. Chances are that your computer only knows of a few networks, but there are millions of other networks it may have to get to. Getting to those other networks is the work of the Default Gateway.

I'll try to make an analogy that is often used in IT. If you're mailing a letter through the postal system to another town in your country, or even to another country, your local post office will probably not know how to get to the address where you want your letter or package to end up. Your local post office will usually "route" the letter to a larger post office which will get the letter on its way to the right town. Does that make sense?

Hi, there!

Tnx!

It would come as no surprise that any networking app on a computer which does not have a default gateway does not function. Default gateways provide a "bridge" between a client computer and another network (in most cases, the Internet).

From your link-local IP address (169.254.x.x) and your unusually large subnet mask it looks like you don't have those set up properly either. Unless you know otherwise, you should enable DHCP so that your IP address, netmask and gateway IPs are assigned automatically. Do this in the Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > TCP/IP > Properties dialog. Then you can get a new IP by opening a command prompt (type "cmd" in the Run dialog) and typing "ipconfig /renew" without quotes. Once again this will only work on a network with a DHCP server (which is almost all of them).

Kudos to you, TernaryBit!

Can you please help me with yet another Windows networking thing:

Suppose I have a laptop with WinXP pro running at work;

During business hours IP addresses are assigned by the DHCP server in the office;

Whereas, a static address has to be assigned to the laptop LAN Ethernet card so that I can get hooked up to the Internet at home.

The question is whether it is possible to set up the Ethernet card for both of these scenarios without doing any further settings "swapping" over and over again?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Hi, there!

Tnx!

Kudos to you, TernaryBit!

Can you please help me with yet another Windows networking thing:

Suppose I have a laptop with WinXP pro running at work;

During business hours IP addresses are assigned by the DHCP server in the office;

Whereas, a static address has to be assigned to the laptop LAN Ethernet card so that I can get hooked up to the Internet at home.

The question is whether it is possible to set up the Ethernet card for both of these scenarios without doing any further settings "swapping" over and over again?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Hmm you have DHCP at office but static at home? That is strange. Well, there are a few ways to solve this. The most straightforward way is to purchase a PCMCIA (cardbus) ethernet adapter to use in conjunction with the built-in ethernet port. You can configure one manually and one to use DHCP. Consider that most laptops also have wireless adapters built in, which can be configured independently of the ethernet port. For example, you might connect wirelessly at home and wired at work, so you can enable DHCP on the ethernet port and configure the static IP settings on the wireless card.

There's also the possibility of setting up the same ethernet port with more than one network configuration, which I haven't done before but may work in a pinch. When you go into the TCP/IP settings of an ethernet adapter, you'll notice two tabs: General and Alternate Configuration. I gather that you can keep the General tab set to DHCP and the Alternate Configuration tab set to your static settings, but I could be wrong.

Personally I would find a way to get DHCP at home to make everything simpler, but if that isn't possible, try the above.

Hope this helps!