intermittent conection

Damezzi

I have a cable conection in one room, passing through a router and on another room a computer with an usb receptor. I can use the internet from this computer pretty well, the signal is good and so on, but for no apparent reason, sometimes I'm not able to connect even if wireless connection window shows that the signal is excellent. On those moments, I keep trying to connect with no success, until suddenly it comes back to life.

I use windows xp service pack 3. If someone have an answer on how to avoid those dead connection moments or if there is some trustworthy tool to check signal intensity, I would be grateful.

It sounds from your description like signal strength is not the problem. Do you have any security set on your Wireless? If so, make sure all settings match on the access point (router) and the computer that connects wirelessly. If not, is it possible that neighbors are using your connection making it slow or booting you off? Do you have up to date antivirus installed? Are your Windows patches up to date?

As an expirament to determine whether the problem is related to the wireless connection, is it possible for you to connect the computer that's been losing its connection using a cable to see of the problem persists?

It sounds from your description like signal strength is not the problem. Do you have any security set on your Wireless? If so, make sure all settings match on the access point (router) and the computer that connects wirelessly. If not, is it possible that neighbors are using your connection making it slow or booting you off? Do you have up to date antivirus installed? Are your Windows patches up to date?

As an expirament to determine whether the problem is related to the wireless connection, is it possible for you to connect the computer that's been losing its connection using a cable to see of the problem persists?

No. Only using WPA for encription. It's protected by password and antivirus is up to date, as are windows patches. Unfortunately, I can't make a test with cables and it would be difficult to get to a conclusion, since most of the time the connection works well. It only happens sometimes, and the strange thing about it is that the system recognizes the signal as excellent.

Anyway, thanks.