Installing Java JDK and setting PATH

I'm trying to download the latest Java JDK as I've started learning Java but I'm having trouble.

I'm following documentations on how to do this, and they don't seem to be working.

I've stored the JDK to C:\jdk1.6.0_12

My PATH is :

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel

and like the documentations have said I've entered

;c:\j2sdk1.6.0_12 (this is the one from Sun's website)

and

;c:\jdk1.6.0_12 (which another website said)

and I still can't execute the JAVAC command from CMD.

Have I missed something? I'm pretty sure I haven't.

I've stored the JDK to C:\jdk1.6.0_12

What you mean "stored" - installed?

and like the documentations have said I've entered

;c:\j2sdk1.6.0_12 (this is the one from Sun's website)

and

;c:\jdk1.6.0_12 (which another website said)

What you mean "entered" - appended to the PATH? If you open a Command Prompt and echo %path% - do you see the JDK install folder?

• 1 month later...

Check that you edited your PATH environment variable as indicated. A missing ; or an added % is enough to screw things up. Close and re-open a command prompt. Type path at the command prompt and look for an entry that includes C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_17\bin;. Check that the version number 1.5.0_17 matches the one you installed since Sun updates Java periodically and you might have a more recent version. If this doesn't fix the problem, check if you have any old versions of Java on your system. If so, un-install them and re-install Java.

It's likely a path issue. Try the suggestions from the previous question. Also check that you installed the JDK properly by checking that the folder Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_17\bin exists.

Type the following at the command prompt.

C:\introcs\hello\> echo %PATH%

The PATH variable should begin with C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_17\bin;.