Networking permissions

cliftonbazaar

I have a 7 computers at home - 1*2003, 5*XP and 1*Linux (Samba installed). Note that I have a large family - they are not all mine :lol:

My problem is that all the XP computers can see each other and go through each others shared folders. But none of the XP's can get into 2003 or Samba - even though they come up in the Network screen, if you click on the 2003 (or samba) it gives an "you don't have permission to view this computer, please ask your administrator".

My computer has only just upgraded from 2000 to XP, when it was 2000 I could access 2003 easily. Samba is only a recent addition so I don't know if 2000 could of spoken to it.

PS I have all updates and patches applied.

PPS I can ping the IP of the 2003 computer succesfully

I cannot really answer the question you have, but ask you a few more questions:

- what kind of network do you have - domain or workgroup?

- did you give permission on the 2003 server for the other computers & users to access it?

- do you have an active firewall on the 2003 server, and does it allow other computers & users to access the server & data?