Windows Delayed Write Error

Chris Young

Hi All!

Let me give you a little low down on the situation.

1. Office has 30 people on 4 DSL lines (7Mbs down and 756k up)with Netgear gigabit switches on each DSL Modem.

2. Everyone is directly connected via Ethernet.

3. We all connect to a VPN that the Company we get contracted work from has set up. So we have no control whatsoever to make or request changes.

4. We have a program that requires a mounted network drive were all the work is stored.

5. Now consider we have about 15-25 people that work outside of our office. They all work from home.

6. They mostly have CABLE or DSL internet connections and connect to the VPN and have the same mounted drive we all use here in the office.

Now for the problem... :unsure:

1. When some people went to make changes in the program that we use that requires the mounted network drive they get a error message that states " Windows delayed write failure". I have doubled check to make sure that their mounted network drive is still connected and it is...

2. I have contacted the people who support the VPN that we connect to and they say its our issue and that its some sort of configuration we have on our end thats causing the issue.

3. I thought this was strange because we are having this issues with people in and out of our office. The people that are in the office have all been setup by me, all hardware is brand new and by no means cheap. Wiring, switches, computers, DSL modems are all new (about 5 months old). Now the people outside of our office, nothing is owned by our company. All the people working off-prem are on there personal PCS with either Cable or DSl, in some cases fiber connections, and these people are getting the same errors.

4. Would it be safe to say that it might be the VPN we are connecting to? and not a problem on our end? :huh:

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-Chris

I can' say that this is your problem but it may give a clue:

The only times I have seen the message "Windows delayed write failure" is when there is a failed or failing drive connected to the system - usually a hard drive but I USB pen drives can show it as well.

I'm a little unclear on your topology:

1. Office has 30 people on 4 DSL lines (7Mbs down and 756k up)with Netgear gigabit switches on each DSL Modem.

Are you saying that your main office has 4 DSL Lines, and 30 people using those as some kind of shared connection?

It's difficult to isolate the problem to something with the VPN with the information you have at present.

Are the local Windows Firewalls turned off on all of the computers in question?

Are the computers setting up individual VPN's or is there some kind of branch office (permanent) VPN from your Firewall to theirs?