Mac/Outlook attachments problem

I use Windows and Mac operating systems. Most of my photo editing is done on the Mac.

Whenever I send an e-mail from my Mac with an attachment to anyone using Outlook Express (including myself) it comes through just fine. But, when they or I hit reply or forward it starts to bring up the compose box with "Unicode UTF-8" at the top in the blue border and then freezes up Outlook which then closes out the program.

What is it about the Mac Mail program that gives Outlook Express such a fit and can I modify something in Mac Mail to prevent this?

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

I am a little bit confused by your statement; you write that you send to recipients with Outlook Express, but it freezes Outlook when they hit reply. Maybe they shouldn't use Outlook Express and Outlook at the same time, especially if they are connected to the same mail server.

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

I am a little bit confused by your statement; you write that you send to recipients with Outlook Express, but it freezes Outlook when they hit reply. Maybe they shouldn't use Outlook Express and Outlook at the same time, especially if they are connected to the same mail server.

I'm confused by yours as well. Just so we're on the same page, I'm talking about Outlook Express. This issue happens even when I send myself an e-mail to another computer with Windows OS and Outlook Express. Outlook Express freezes up whenever I hit Reply or Forward. I can't believe no one hasn't heard of this problem before.

Ok, I understand. (Outlook and Outlook Express are two completely different programs. Outlook is part of Microsoft Office, Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer.)

So this happens only when you send a message with attachments from a Mac to an Outlook Express account? Is there anything special in the e-mail headers? Can you post the headers of a sample email here (without any email addresses, of course)?

Also, what is the message type (plain text, or HTML)?

Ok, I understand. (Outlook and Outlook Express are two completely different programs. Outlook is part of Microsoft Office, Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer.)

So this happens only when you send a message with attachments from a Mac to an Outlook Express account? Is there anything special in the e-mail headers? Can you post the headers of a sample email here (without any email addresses, of course)?

Also, what is the message type (plain text, or HTML)?

Nothing seems to be different in the headers with or without an attachment.

Whatever fonts are in Outlook Express is what I use.

I can send an e-mail to anyone that has Outlook Express with a picture (jpeg) and no text at all except my signature for those that want to scrutinize it first hand. All I need is an e-mail address.

• 2 weeks later...

I never use Outlook Express but I would try to change the default character encoding in Outlook Express, maybe that would help?

Other things you might try- reinstall Outlook Express, try using a superior mail client like Thunderbird, run Outlook from terminal and paste the error output here (or in a Mac forum)

• 11 months later...

I use Windows and Mac operating systems. Most of my photo editing is done on the Mac.

Whenever I send an e-mail from my Mac with an attachment to anyone using Outlook Express (including myself) it comes through just fine. But, when they or I hit reply or forward it starts to bring up the compose box with "Unicode UTF-8" at the top in the blue border and then freezes up Outlook which then closes out the program.

What is it about the Mac Mail program that gives Outlook Express such a fit and can I modify something in Mac Mail to prevent this?

Today I imported my emails from MS Outlook 2003 to 2007 and something happened. After some minutes I understood that all my emails were lost. I entered in the Internet and started to search suitable software. To my good fortune I found out - [dubious software link removed]. It determined my problem for a minute and easy. Besides I didn't spend my money and advised it for some friends...

Today I imported my emails from MS Outlook 2003 to 2007 and something happened. After some minutes I understood that all my emails were lost. I entered in the Internet and started to search suitable software. To my good fortune I found out - [link removed]. It determined my problem for a minute and easy. Besides I didn't spend my money and advised it for some friends...

I don't understand what this has to do with the original (Mac) topic...?

I also don't understand the IMPORT part of your post - you never import a PST file to Outlook, but you simply open the old PST file with the new Outlook.

Naturally your emails will get mangled if you use IMPORT on a PST file - this is a well-known fact since Outlook 97. But instead of paying $49.90 for some dubious software, you could have just started again and opened the original PST file with the new Outlook.